Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Memory upgrade...what can I expect?

I have just ordered 2gb of memory from Crucial to replace the 512mb i have installed. What kind of performance improvement can i expect?

I am at my wits end with my MacBook. Aside from the screen flicker, the performance is abysmal. All applications are slow and i have seen the spinning beach ball al lot more than i did with my old 800mhz iBook!

I tried the MacBooks in the Apple Store and they seemed to fly and the speed of them is what i would expect from a modern machine. The only difference besides the slight processor speed (mine is a 1.83 Core Duo 2) was they all had 2gb memory? Is this the key?

Paul

Macbook Core Duo 2, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 21, 2007 8:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2007 9:08 AM

It was unfortunate that Apple initially sold MacBooks with only 512MB RAM. Upgrading to 2GB will make a lot of difference, with less spinning beachballs.

The processor speed also affects your experience, but I think it has more effect on calculations (like exporting videos).
2 replies

Memory upgrade...what can I expect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.