Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Failure code 702: what does it mean?

My iPod is OS X formatted and used with iTunes and 10.4.10.

I was experiencing more tune skips (play 20% then skip) recently so I ran diags. The automatic test stops at step 8/8 with a Failure Code: 702 (26 defects) error message and a red screen (the "red screen of death" I suppose).

I figured this was a drive issue, but I've run OS X disk utility, done a restore, even reformatted and then restored, checked the built-in SMART diagnostics -- it's all clear. I'm thinking the disk may be fine.

The only other odd thing is the SDRAM Full Test, which so far is not completing after running for about 5-8 minutes -- but nor does it fail.

I've run a number of Google searches, but nobody seems to know what a 702 means. It doesn't appear to the drive. Likewise I found several questions here, but no answers. Apple's knowledge base and tech support are silent.

So, what does it mean?

Thanks!
john

G5 iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.4.10), MacBook Core-2 Duo, G3 iBook, Mac mini

Posted on Sep 25, 2007 4:30 PM

4 replies

Sep 26, 2007 7:12 AM in response to jfaughnan

I've flogged the hard drive on my poor ipod and I am very sure it's remarkably pristine. I've reformatted it, zeroed it out, run Disk Utility, restored, checked SMART data on the iPod. Really, it's remarkably good.

So where is the skippiness and the 26 defect and red screen of death coming from?

I'm suspicious of memory that buffers the drive. I've never heard of this type of memory wearing out however, it should last much longer than anything else in the iPod. So what's going on?

Curious.

I've replaced all my music and it seems less skippy. That also points to the memory buffer, because that's mostly needed to deal with a fragmented drive. My drive is mostly full and has lots of podcasts on it, so it may have been fragmented. If the buffer function is failing it would get skippy then.

All speculation, but nobody seems to know much about this.

Oct 12, 2007 1:08 PM in response to jfaughnan

The skipping is not recurring. So the reformatting and restore fixed that. Probably just a restore would have done it.

So what does the 702 error count mean?

This is a web secret. Literally nobody who knows is willing to say.

My guess is that it is a count of bad drive sectors, but the iPod OS has mapped them out. So they have no material effect after a refresh, except that the iPod will have lost some drive capacity.

If this is correct one would expect the defect count to rise over time. It could be tested by running diagnostics on five or six iPods and looking for a relationship between defect count and age. A correlation would strongly favor the 'bad sector count' theory.

Failure code 702: what does it mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.