Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question on Mail cache

In ~/Library/Caches/Mail there are scores of folders, sub folders and cache files.
Some are over a year old. I intend deleting them, but why are these cache files being made and to what purpose are they used.
I have a general understanding of caching being used to speed up repetitive tasks but I can't see what benefit is given to Mail to use cached data?
Is this part of 'indexing' which sometimes flashes through when Mail is first opened and what disadvantage would occur if they were deleted?

regards roam

eMac G4 1Ghz ; iBook G4 800Mhz, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Sep 26, 2007 7:03 AM

8 replies

Oct 7, 2007 5:56 PM in response to roam

Cornelius:
I read that this cache holds html marked up emails. I cannot verify if that is true. Nevertheless having deleted the cached files there is no loss of performance in Mail.

A week or so has gone by and the cache remains empty, so it is not a very active facility anyway. I suggest this cache can be deleted without penalty.

Oct 7, 2007 6:38 PM in response to roam

Hi ALL,

I suggest this cache can be deleted without penalty.

I delete the Mail Cache folder once a week. The performance of speeding up Mail to open the Application is by deleting the Cache folder improved. There are NO issues to do so.

A application like OnyX or other maintenances application you can set to do it for you.

I do it manually. Be sure that the application Mail is not running. Quite Mail before you trash the whole folder, not only 1 to 15 sub folder.

Dimaxum

Oct 8, 2007 8:03 AM in response to Dimaxum

I delete the Mail Cache folder once a week.

Do you? Since I emptied mine, over a week ago it has been dormant, that is, it has not cached anything. Perhaps this is because I have "Display images and embedded objects in HTML messages." turned off.
As you say an empty cache is no problem.

I was a bit wary of emptying it because of that sub-folder numbering system that is used for dating entries, the same as used in iPhoto. Anyway, all is well.
I have a copy of Onyx. It is a nice app' but I don't use it.
Thanks for your input.

regards roam

Oct 8, 2007 12:13 PM in response to roam

Hi Roam & Cornelius,

As I said, I used OnyX in the past to clean up the Mail Caches. But to launch a Application to do it for is taking to long.

Sins I do it manually I never hat any issues with mail.

Also you can try to set the Mail Cache folder to read only via the get info window. Try it an find out ...

Also I did in Safari Cache folder read only ... makes a different.

Thanks for responding to my comments an thanks for the star *

Dimaxum

Question on Mail cache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.