Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airport card firmware?

hi all, I recently acquired a 500mhz tibook w/ an original airport card, running 10.4.1 (rather reluctantly). Anyone know the latest firmware for the airport card? I've scrubbed the web, and the apple site, but can't for the life of me figure it out. It's currently at v9.52.

Also, are firmware updates handled by software update?

thanks in advance -

tibook 500mhz, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 28, 2007 1:20 AM

4 replies

Oct 7, 2007 12:41 PM in response to plaka 999

I would recommend updating to 10.4.10. I think the firmware updates are specific to the AirPort Extreme or AirPort base stations. If the firmware ever gets updated it's probably when updating the AirPort driver. There might be 10.4 specific AirPort updates available too. The way to check is to go into System Preferences. Hold down the option key while clicking Software Update to tell the Mac to check for available updates.

Nov 18, 2007 1:46 PM in response to plaka 999

The Airport software auto updates the firmware (since v1.3), 9.52 is the latest firmware for the original Airport Cards.

All Firmware updates seemed to be handled by 'Software Update.' I believe the original colorful 'Toilet Seat' iBook's Firmware and the Blue & White Tower's Firmware are the last two Firmware updates that have to be downloaded manually and are not done by Mac OS 10.2 and later (since the objective of both updates make running Mac OS X possible).

Jan 20, 2008 5:24 PM in response to plaka 999

Good luck plaka999, I have been hunting for the same airport card upgrade for many hours and all to no avail. I just had some auto downloads come to my wife's Titanium and then saw that her's was 9.52 like yours. Before I could not
even bring that Version up. I've had this computer connected to the internet through the airport card many times before, but now it has become a problem. Using a Linksys WRT300N before and now I cannot get a password to work so have to figure something new. These sites are useful for connecting wirelessly.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107795
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=108058
Why do you want to update you airport card? I wanted to so I could connect more easily to my linksys and other hotspots. The password system on the PowerbookG4 seems to be archaic. What bothers me is I have the new Tiger software, but I don't know that the old Airport card will do what the software
says it can do. I'm not an engineer and this make take a Mac expert. I know your card will connect wirelessly, but just figuring it out is a pain! Find a Mac friend and hang on for dear life!

airport card firmware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.