Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forced iPhone Updates

Sadly, I have noticed that, when I choose not to apply a new update to my iPhone, the phone begins to act "mysteriously".

I do not always have time to apply the new updates when iTunes first detects there is an update. On two cases, when I opted not to apply the update my phone IMMEDIATELY lost certain features.

The latest patch, which I have yet to apply, has rendered my phone unable to answer calls. Yes, when my Wife calls, when co-workers call, when I even call my own phone from other lines to test it... the phone rings once, stops ringing, and cannot be answered. This NEVER happened until IMMEDIATELY after I chose not to apply the update.

The last update rendered my phone undiscoverable by iTunes (IMMEDIATELY) and I therefore cannot accept this is a random instability. Rather, it is a deliberate attempt to force Users to update their phones when it is convenient for apple and not for Users.

When iTunes learns you are not running the last iPhone version, you either must 1) update IMMEDIATELY or 2) accept that some component of your phone will no longer work until it is updated.

Some people wonder, "Why wouldn't somebody update their phone? Those update enhance usability?" Answer - not everybody can take the time to update the phone immediately. And to penalize Users until they do apply the update by rendering major functionality inoperable is severe.

Apple reminds me of Microsoft.

iPhone

Posted on Sep 29, 2007 4:26 PM

10 replies

Sep 29, 2007 9:26 PM in response to ampullae

On a serious note, I turn down updates often for months on various Apple products I've owned over the years – towers, laptops, iPods, and iPhones. I've never had the types of troubles you are seeing.

I really don't think that Apple has the desire and where-with-all to create special trouble causing routines to insert into their software. Usually it is that they come up with some new feature or trick that I really, really want and that is what eventually makes me upgrade.

Sorry that you are having trouble, but I would look for a more concrete solution than a giant Apple conspiracy. 🙂

Sep 29, 2007 10:00 PM in response to ampullae

I can honestly say... I think this is a coincidence.

I went to update my phone the other day, the day the update came out, but I had to run out so I unplugged my iPhone from the computer before I had a chance to update it.

So both the iPhone and iTunes knew there was an update download sitting on my computer waiting to be applied. My phone was not updated and worked fine. There was not one issue with it. I even made a couple calls, used Safari on EDGE and Wi-Fi and used the iPod. Not one problem. Not even a hang or a pause in the processing.

Later that night I returned and updated the new software without a hitch.

If Apple was purposefully trying to disable phones that did not immediately update then I think we would be seeing a lot more complaints.

I think there is probably something wrong with your phone, but I do not believe it has to do with the update. You should take it to Apple and see if they can look at it. Or even try this, do a full restore on the phone in case some file got corrupted. That should solve your problem.

Forced iPhone Updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.