Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sticky, Gummy Residue From My DVD/CD Player

Hello,

I was hoping that someone could offer some help or advice regarding a problem I am currently having with my DVD/CD player on my ibook. Often when I eject a DVD or CD from the player, there is a sticky, gummy residue smeared across the bottom of the disk. Sometimes it is only a small amount, while other times it appears to be quite a bit. With a little effort, I can manage to clean this stuff off, but it often leaves behind a smudge. It's really getting frustrating because it seems to be happening more regularly lately. I've only had my computer for a little over a year. The first time that I noticed this was last year about four months after I purchased it. At the time I thought that I had accidently put a disc in the player that had something stuck to the bottom of it and that substance was now smearing itself on the discs. It went away after a couple of days and I figured that the problem was solved. But now, a little more than a year later, the problem has come back. I admit that I was stupid the first time around and that I should have taken it to the Mac store immediately while the computer was under warranty. Now I am in Vietnam, nowhere near a Mac store, the warranty on the computer has run out and the problem is back. I'm also low on cash, so unless I can fix the problem myself, I doubt that I am going to be able to get it fixed any time soon. Has anyone out there experienced a similar problem, or does anyone know what could be causing this and what I could possibly do to fix it?

Many thanks.
Is

Posted on Sep 30, 2007 11:44 PM

1 reply

Oct 7, 2007 5:01 AM in response to isnorkel

Hey glade to know that it happened to at least on other g4 owner. I live in the tropics and i think it has something to do with the heat but mine did the exact same thing.. But as i could not find any help i just pulled the thing apart.

I fixed mine by undoing the screws on the bottom and poping the bottom cover of the computer off with a little screw driver. Then i found that the glue they used to glue in the furry stuff is what is melting onto the disk. So i just carefully pullet the fuzzy stuff out altogether. That fixed it but now i don't have the fuzzy stuff for stopping dust getting into it, so just be carefull where you use it..

Hope this helps.

hope ya havin fun in vietnam.

Sticky, Gummy Residue From My DVD/CD Player

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.