Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't turn off Junk mail filtering

My Mail program seems to be almost randomly putting mail in the junk mailbox on the IMAP server even though Junkmail is NOT enabled in preferences and mailbox behaviors is set to NOT store messages on the server. Any ideas?

Intel iMac 20, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Oct 1, 2007 12:14 PM

2 replies

Oct 1, 2007 3:05 PM in response to Cosna

Are you sure it’s Mail that’s putting messages there? Are you talking about newly arrived messages or about previously received messages that should be stored in some other mailbox? Do you have any custom rules that could have a bearing on this?

There is a kind of index corruption (which in turn might be caused by some filesystem corruption) that makes messages to randomly appear in a mailbox different from where they’re supposed to be. If you suspect that’s happening to you, proceed as follows.

Verify/repair the startup disk (not just permissions), as described here:

The Repair functions of Disk Utility: what's it all about?

After having fixed all the filesystem issues, if any, and ensuring that there’s enough space available on the startup disk (a few GB, plus the space needed to make a backup copy of the Mail folder), try this:

1. Quit Mail if it’s running.

2. In the Finder, go to ~/Library/Mail/. Make a backup copy of this folder, just in case something goes wrong, e.g. by dragging it to the Desktop while holding the Option (Alt) key down. This is where all your mail is locally stored.

3. Locate Envelope Index and move it to the Trash. If you see any other “Envelope Index”-named file there, delete it as well.

4. Move any “IMAP-”, “Mac-”, or “Exchange-” account folders to the Trash. Note that you can do this with IMAP-type accounts because they store mail on the server and Mail can easily re-create them. DON’T trash any “POP-” account folders, as that would cause all the mail stored there to be lost.

5. Open Mail. It will tell you that your mail needs to be “imported”. Click Continue and Mail will proceed to re-create Envelope Index — Mail says it’s “importing”, but it just re-creates the index if the mailboxes are already in Mail 2.x format.

6. As a side effect of having removed the IMAP account folders, those accounts may be in an “offline” state now. Do Mailbox > Go Online to bring them back online.

Note: For those not familiarized with the ~/ notation, it refers to the user’s home folder. That is, ~/Library is the Library folder within the user’s home folder, i.e. /Users/username/Library.

Oct 2, 2007 3:48 PM in response to David Gimeno Gost

It seems to be only new messages that end up in Junk mail. It is a fairly random event, making it hard to track. I have no filtering, custom or otherwise, as I am using the SpamArrest service which filters all mail before they get to my mail server, so local spam filtering is unnecessary.

I'll try the repair as suggested. Thanks for the hint.

Can't turn off Junk mail filtering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.