Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen IPOD

Is their anyway to track a stolen ipod?

Need help?

Dell 9200, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Oct 2, 2007 11:06 AM

15 replies

Nov 15, 2007 4:37 AM in response to jorts

I disagree. It really isn't realistic to expect Apple to be able to track a stolen iPod for you.

A few scenarios;
1) Say my iPod goes missing... Apple finds the person who is using it. What do they do with that information? Give me his address? What if someone is hurt in the confrontation? Apple will carry some responsibility in that. Should they call the police & have the guy locked up? The guy who connects it probably isn't the guy who stole or found it - he probably just bought it at a pawn shop & now Apple has violated his privacy & possibly caused him legal trouble.

2) Someone gives an iPod to a friend or sells it on ebay or something. Then later, he has a falling out with that friend, or just decides he wants to be a jerk, so he reports the iPod stolen. What does Apple do in this case? Deactivate the iPod for the poor guy who legitimately received it? Notify the police (see above)? What?

See... it just isn't realistic. How about if we take responsibility for our own property and leave Apple to making great products? If you look into your homeowner's insurance policy, you will likely find that you can have your iPod covered there.

Cheers!
-Bryan

Stolen IPOD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.