Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

midi controller...how do I sample audio, instead of just midi instruments

I know the irony of the title, using a midi controller to control something other than midi, all that aside...

How do I take a sound, for example a clip of an mp3, audio from a mov, wav, aac, or anything else and control it through one of these midi controllers. Basically I would like to sample any audio.

I don't think it matters too much, but I am using a Korg padKontrol, (and trying to get it going with MainStage).

PM G5 1.8 / iBook G4 1.2, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Oct 2, 2007 12:51 PM

3 replies

Oct 3, 2007 12:28 AM in response to Bobby V.

I'm not really trying to create an instrument, I need a lot more flexibility.

I would ideally like to use MainStage, and have a layout that I can go to for each song.
I would then like to make each of my 16 pads play not just an instrument from the instrument library, but a part of a song, or a sample, or spoken words that I create in a microphone etc.

Do I need other software to do this? Can MainStage assign audio samples to each button and then I create different layouts and setups for each song/set?

By the way, I am using USB instead of the MIDI interface, works just as well, and equally compatible I believe.

EDIT: on second glance, what is the EXS24 sampler? Can I create my own sets easily?

Message was edited by: Bobby V.

Oct 3, 2007 5:08 AM in response to Bobby V.

Bobby V. wrote:EDIT: on second glance, what is the EXS24 sampler? Can I create my own sets easily?

This is absolut basic knowledge and shows that you need some (basic) manual studies!

EXS24 is one of Logic/Mainstage Instruments.
And yes, you can load loops into it and trigger them with the buttons of your Korg-Controller.
First step is, go to layoutmode in MainStage and build up an exact copy of all your hardware keys, knobs , faders wheels and so on on your screen. When ready, use this as a template for all your Concerts.
As far as i can see, editing of EXS24 ist disabled in MainStage so you have to program your EXS-Instruments in Logic by now.

midi controller...how do I sample audio, instead of just midi instruments

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.