9 Replies Latest reply: Oct 17, 2007 4:13 PM by Douglas McLaughlin
Ayabara Level 1 Level 1
have connected the MM to an optical input on my Yamaha RX-V659, but I can´t get no sound.

Mac-side: After connecting and turning on, "System Prefs -> Sound -> Output" has changed to Digital Output and says that no output controls are available for this output. I have tried playing from iTunes and DVD Player. In DVD player the option for selecting Digital Output had appeared, and I chose that. When I take a look at the end of the cable I plug into the receiver I see a constant red light.

Yamaha-side: I have tried 2 different optical inputs, and gone over my settings several times. The receiver does not seem to detect digital audio coming in. I tried the Signal Info menu on my receiver, and for another source it output:

PCM, 48kHz, 2.0, Analog

On the optical input it says:

---, ---, 2.0, Analog

Intel Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
Solved by Douglas McLaughlin on Oct 17, 2007 4:13 PM Solved
Thanks for posting back and letting everyone know!-Doug
Reply by CaptTB on Oct 4, 2007 5:14 AM Helpful
I have a similar setup to a Kenwood receiver. You are correct that ALL system sounds (frontrow, system alerts, etc.) will play through to your stereo.Have you tried switching Toslink cables and/or the toslink to miniplug adapter that is plugged into the mini?I had a bad cable at one point in time, and a bad adapter at another point in the life of this system. You perhaps tried these things already but I only saw mention of trying 2 different inputs (I assume on the receiver) and made no mention of cables/adapters.Let me know how you make out.Message was edited by: CaptTB

All replies

• Douglas McLaughlin Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.serversenterprise
    Servers Enterprise
    The receiver will probably only detect a digital audio input when you're actually playing a movie from the DVD Player application.

-Doug
  • Ayabara Level 1 Level 1
    I have tried playing a movie, but it doesn´t make a difference. Besides, I should be able to output digital audio to my receiver "all the time", not only when playing DVD movies? I would think that all sounds (iTunes, QT, system sounds, ++) should be sent in S/PDIF format to the receiver.

I stumbled into the Audio Midi setup, and it was set to "44100Hz, 2 ch / 24 bit". Tries to change this to 48KHz, but it made no difference.
  • CaptTB Level 1 Level 1
    I have a similar setup to a Kenwood receiver. You are correct that ALL system sounds (frontrow, system alerts, etc.) will play through to your stereo.

Have you tried switching Toslink cables and/or the toslink to miniplug adapter that is plugged into the mini?

I had a bad cable at one point in time, and a bad adapter at another point in the life of this system. You perhaps tried these things already but I only saw mention of trying 2 different inputs (I assume on the receiver) and made no mention of cables/adapters.

Let me know how you make out.

Message was edited by: CaptTB
    I have only tried that one cable so far, since it´s the only one I´ve got. It is a kinda cheap one though, so maybe I should get another one and try it out. Thanks for the tip.
    Servers Enterprise
    Your receiver should certainly report a "digital" connection, but it will only be standard 2.0 stereo when playing from iTunes or the Finder. You won't get Dobly Digital or multiple channels from any other application (except from another DVD player like VLC Media Player).

-Doug
    Tried connecting my MB Pro instead of the Mac Mini, but with the same result. Seems to be either the Yamaha or the cable. Have ordered a new cable...
  • CaptTB Level 1 Level 1
    Let's hope it's the cable, not the receiver!

Good luck, post back with results.
    Today I got the new cable I ordered, and everything worked at once. Thanks a lot for your input!
    Servers Enterprise
    Thanks for posting back and letting everyone know!

-Doug