Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can´t get optical sound output from my brand new mini

have connected the MM to an optical input on my Yamaha RX-V659, but I can´t get no sound.

Mac-side: After connecting and turning on, "System Prefs -> Sound -> Output" has changed to Digital Output and says that no output controls are available for this output. I have tried playing from iTunes and DVD Player. In DVD player the option for selecting Digital Output had appeared, and I chose that. When I take a look at the end of the cable I plug into the receiver I see a constant red light.

Yamaha-side: I have tried 2 different optical inputs, and gone over my settings several times. The receiver does not seem to detect digital audio coming in. I tried the Signal Info menu on my receiver, and for another source it output:

PCM, 48kHz, 2.0, Analog

On the optical input it says:

---, ---, 2.0, Analog

Intel Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Oct 3, 2007 8:12 AM

9 replies

Oct 3, 2007 11:43 PM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

I have tried playing a movie, but it doesn´t make a difference. Besides, I should be able to output digital audio to my receiver "all the time", not only when playing DVD movies? I would think that all sounds (iTunes, QT, system sounds, ++) should be sent in S/PDIF format to the receiver.

I stumbled into the Audio Midi setup, and it was set to "44100Hz, 2 ch / 24 bit". Tries to change this to 48KHz, but it made no difference.

Oct 4, 2007 5:14 AM in response to Ayabara

I have a similar setup to a Kenwood receiver. You are correct that ALL system sounds (frontrow, system alerts, etc.) will play through to your stereo.

Have you tried switching Toslink cables and/or the toslink to miniplug adapter that is plugged into the mini?

I had a bad cable at one point in time, and a bad adapter at another point in the life of this system. You perhaps tried these things already but I only saw mention of trying 2 different inputs (I assume on the receiver) and made no mention of cables/adapters.

Let me know how you make out.

Message was edited by: CaptTB

Can´t get optical sound output from my brand new mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.