Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Apple TV is not authorized to play this."

Even though I'm iTunes sees my aTV and the aTV is set up on the same network as my computer ... all of a sudden when I select a show to be played it says "Apple TV is authorizing..." and after a while it turns to the little yellow triangle with "!" and says "Apple TV is not authorized to play..." This is very new and just happened today and no settings were changed since the last time something was played. Also, it never showed the "AppleTV is authorizing" with the little loading symbol before this started happening.

PLEASE HELP! I have reset the aTV to its factory settings, unplugged it, tried different networks and different iTunes (different computers)..... help, please!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.9), 17-inch: 2.33GHz

Posted on Oct 3, 2007 6:23 PM

60 replies

Oct 3, 2007 10:24 PM in response to qcarlyle

This is happening to me with all purchased content. I thought it was related to a replacement Apple TV, but I think I've narrowed it down to one of the recent iTunes updates. I now cannot sync or stream purchased tv shows, movies or songs to my apple tv. I either get the message you describe on my TV (if streaming) or something similar "Apple TV is not authorized to play .... " from iTunes when syncing. I have an open incident with Apple Technical Support. No news since Sunday.

Nov 7, 2007 7:52 AM in response to Stuart1

I spoke with Apple Support last evening, and my Apple TV is now boxed up and on its way back to Apple. Unfortunately this is a problem that they have encountered with certain networks and certain routers, but they have not isolated the problem. Truly disappointing. And a real waste of hours in setting it up, trying to troubleshoot and resolve the problem, and then on the phone to Apple Support. But at least I got them to waive the 10% restocking fee and the cost of the return shipping.

Nov 7, 2007 12:00 PM in response to Stuart1

Tempting. I have had a similar support incident open since Apple replaced my Apple TV due to hardware failure. The recent upgrade to iTunes made no difference what so ever. The interesting points in my case are that a) the content synched and streamed just fine before the Apple TV was swapped out, and that other machines (two laptops) can synch and stream the SAME content with no issue - given everything is on the same network, and the network hasn't changed, curiouser and curiouser. I will call for an update on my support request this weekend.

Nov 7, 2007 12:19 PM in response to ScottishBloke@Yahoo.com

I find myself disappointed in this because I had expected so much more of Apple. To understand and acknowledge the problem, to resolve it or at least admit it without requiring so many phone calls to Customer Support. On another post someone mentioned that it feels as though Apple TV is just not a priority product for Apple, hence not fully supported. Either that or it (Apple TV) has weak product management. In any event, this is the first time I've been disappointed with an Apple product. And that includes iMac, MacBook Pro, several iPods, an iPhone, each of which surpassed all of my expectations.

I was truly surprised to hear the person in Support say that they don't pay attention to the Apple Discussion board. Now that is interesting. Wouldn't you think it'd be a good way to figure out what the customers are saying, how they're feeling about the products?

Nov 7, 2007 1:11 PM in response to ScottishBloke@Yahoo.com

ScottishBloke - I have EXACTLY the same symptoms (I wrote a lengthy post on this a couple weeks back on a different thread). The computer I want to have as my iTunes server (an old 2001 Dell desktop) is unable to serve protected content, ** even after reformatting and installing XP SP2 from scratch **. However, a different computer, hooked to the same router, serves the content just fine. Wired, wireless, firewall, no firewall - makes no difference.

Apple support has been useless. I opened a ticket some weeks ago (paying the $49) and they haven't come up with anything other than "replace the network card and/or the router". Lovely. I am going to try to get my $49 refunded.

Like some others, at one point (a few months ago) protected content worked fine, so it isn't like it NEVER worked. And I actually have TWO Apple TVs, and each has the same behavior.

Very frustrating - all I want is to play my music... --Erik

Dec 1, 2007 11:41 AM in response to Stuart1

I have been having the same issues as many have had. When I wanted to play ANY purchased content on my Apple TV it would not play stating that Apple was unable to authorize. After much frustration and several calls to Apple, we as I said WE figured it out. Here is the solution:

1. First make sure that the computer which has iTunes is Updated and You have properly authorized the machine. To test this try playing the purchased content on the Mac first. If it works then go to the next step.

2. Go onto the Apple TV, go into settings, then reset/restore FACTORY SETTINGS. This will take a while and we restore the machine back to the original settings.

3. Once prompted enter the access code onto your Mac under the Apple TV in the side bar.

4. Once this is completed... here is the important part... REGISTER the Apple TV and MORE IMPORTANTLY, use your CURRENT registration email that you used to purchase the content. THIS IT SEEMS IS WHAT APPLE USES TO CHECK FOR AUTHORIZATION. (I wish Apple would have said something about this)

You should be set to go!

"Apple TV is not authorized to play this."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.