Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help w/Rules Please

I'm transitioning from Entourage to Mail and I could use help with a couple of things:

1. In Entourage I could set a rule to move all read messages from the Inbox to another folder (Read Mail). Mail doesn't seem to have an option to select read mail only. Is there another way?

2. How can I get Mail to perform a Rule only on folders (mailboxes) I designate?

Thanks,

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 6, 2007 2:07 PM

2 replies

Oct 6, 2007 4:56 PM in response to Ron Stephens1

Rules are applied automatically to incoming mail. Incoming mail has not been read, so there is no need (in the view of the designers!) to be able to use read status as a selection criterion. You can of course select a message or messages and use Message/Apply Rules to run the selected messages through the rules. To operate on a specific mailbox select the message, select all messages (Command-a) and then apply rules (alt-command-l). Note that all rules will be applied, rather than a specific rule as your question would suggest you would like.

You could instead consider using Applescript, which can consider read status or particular mailboxes:

every message of mailbox "Pending" where read status is true

and have your script runnable from the script menu.

User uploaded fileAK

Oct 6, 2007 7:21 PM in response to Ron Stephens1

You may be able to use Smart Mailboxes to achieve the same effect. For example, I have an "Inbox Unread" smart mailbox that displays all messages in my inbox that I have not read. I sort mailing list type mails to other folders and let personal emails go to my Inbox, where I can see what's new with Inbox Unread.

If your moving of read mail was simply to allow you to concentrate on unread mail, this would work.

Help w/Rules Please

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.