Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FX1 + FCP 6.0.1 + Unable to Locate External A/V Device = Adobe Premiere?!

Please help me out . . . I'm not a novice with either video production, fcp, or computers. I'm starting to wish I was back on my PC with premiere.

First of all computer specs:
G5 Quad 2.5ghz
4gb RAM
approx 2tb spread across 5 HD's (internal and external)
Plenty of free space on all drives
Final Cut Studio 2 (all updates applied).
OS 10.4.10 - all updates applied.
Sony FX1 and Z1U

-----
Problem that I'm having. I noticed this when I went to "Print to Tape" an HDV sequence. This is so infuriating. So, my camera is not being recognized by Final Cut. I've tried a ton of troubleshooting and nothing I do fixes the problem. Here's what I've tried.

1.) Check all settings on camera - all set correctly.
2.) Verified camera in system profile - yup, it's there.
3.) Change camera to NTSC down convert and create an NTSC project and attmept capture - worked fine
4.) Verify camera in iMovie HD. Recognized and captured HDV just fine.
5.) Trashed quicktime receipts and reinstalled latest vers of quicktime.
6.) Trashed all FCP preferences.
7.) Verified Camera on another computer.
8.) Repaired disk permissions.
9.) Restarted computer about a dozen times.

The only I haven't done (cause I have a project that needs completing in a matter of hours) is reinstall FCS2. Anyone have any insight. I've also had a lot of stability problems with FCP since the 6.0.1 update. If I move any media around the project becomes completely unstable.

Thanks. . .

G5 PowerMac Quad 2.5ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 7, 2007 3:49 AM

9 replies

Oct 7, 2007 8:10 AM in response to gogiangigo

Thanks for the response and the links. I however had already been to both of those links. I spent about 2 hrs searching in the various forums (dvinfo.net, creativecow, apple, etc) but could not for the life of me find anything that works. While I noticed the problem when I went to try to "print to video," the problem was that FCP isn't recognizing my camera at all in HDV. I can't even get log and capture to initialize it as a source. I have more video I need to capture for a project, but at this point, I can't.

Thanks

Oct 7, 2007 9:10 AM in response to Kjell-o

Ok,
hang on in your posts you say that you can't print to video and now you can't even capture?
Alright! A lot going on...
Do you have MPEG streamclip?
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/video/mpegstreamclip.html

Use it to convert your HDV (probably m2t streems) footage into a compatible format for FCP. Your problem is occurring to many HDV (various flavours) users.
B

Oct 7, 2007 9:26 AM in response to gogiangigo

Thanks, I guess I should have been a little more specific. I noticed the recognizing problem when I went to print. I decided to try troubleshooting, making sure that the camera was still being recognized by the computer. Thats when I realized that I couldn't even capture any HDV source either. I know it's a problem with FCP. I guess I may just have to uninstall and reinstall fcs2, but it takes so long to do. Arg. So yea . . . fcp is not recognizing either of my HDV camcorders AT ALL. No printing, no capturing, nothing. Both cameras work just fine in iMovie.

What is streamclip supposed to do for me if I can't capture the video at all?

Thanks
Kjell-o

FX1 + FCP 6.0.1 + Unable to Locate External A/V Device = Adobe Premiere?!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.