Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini - Disc Warrior - Will not respond to new startup Disc

Problem:

I ran disc warrior and rebuilt and replaced the directory simply as maint and to deal with a few crash issues. After quitting Disc Warrior I held the option key (on a new low profile Apple Keyboard - wired) to open startup disc assistant. Computer continues to boot from the disc. I cannot find a single way to change the startup disc from within Disc Warrior either.

I then determined that there is no power going to the keyboard until after the time period needed when holding the option key or even trying to use the firmware keyboard shortcut. I determined this by pressing the caps lock key. The green light on the caps lock does not come on until well after the initial startup sound.

Is there a way to open terminal when the computer is booted from a disc? Is there a way around this? I've tried unplugging every peripheral except the keyboard and the power issue still persists.

No matter what I do, the computer still boots from the disc. I tried opening system prefs from the apple menu but it is grayed out.

Any help would be great. Thanks

PowerBook G4; Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Oct 7, 2007 8:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2007 10:28 AM

Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue with the new aluminum keyboards: they do not seem to allow you to access the Startup Manager. Do you have a wired mouse? If so, you could plug it directly to the Mini (just to be safe), start the Mini, press and hold the mouse button right after the startup chime until the CD ejects. The Mini should then boot to Mac OS X.

If you have an Intel Mini, it may be even easier: pressing and holding your Apple Remote's "menu" button right after the startup chime should have the same effect as using the Option key on a keyboard.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2007 10:28 AM in response to Mark Gaipo

Unfortunately, this seems to be an issue with the new aluminum keyboards: they do not seem to allow you to access the Startup Manager. Do you have a wired mouse? If so, you could plug it directly to the Mini (just to be safe), start the Mini, press and hold the mouse button right after the startup chime until the CD ejects. The Mini should then boot to Mac OS X.

If you have an Intel Mini, it may be even easier: pressing and holding your Apple Remote's "menu" button right after the startup chime should have the same effect as using the Option key on a keyboard.

Mac Mini - Disc Warrior - Will not respond to new startup Disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.