Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to start a MC950D USB wireless modem on a Mac Book Pro?

I purchased a Novatel Wireless USB modem MC950D with a prize plan and SIM card. They say that it is compatible with Mac OS X 10.4.7 and better (I have 10.4.10). When I plug it in there comes an Autoinst CD on the desktop. There are two programms: a .exe which is obviously Windows and a setup.msi which I also don't can open. How do I have to start may modem?

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 8, 2007 12:17 PM

16 replies

Oct 9, 2007 9:19 AM in response to phsauter

phsauter wrote:
Thanks. You do think that it is a provider problem. But they sold me a closed and sealed box from the manufacturer of the modem. I have The provider "Sunrise" here in Switzerland.

What I should have said is that it is not uncommon for the install CD that they provide to not include OS X software. I didn't mean to imply that you didn't get everything you are supposed to. I tried to check out the Sunrise website... but as I don't speak the language, I couldn't get very far. They should have a support section... and then an area for you to download any applications you may need.

Oct 11, 2007 12:27 PM in response to phsauter

Today I bought the same modem as you. There seems to be no Mac driver available anywhere on the net, neither on the manufacturers webpage or the providers one (sunrise).

Solution Step 1: call sunrise tech support, they'll send you the Mac driver (NovatelWireless 3G_v20.dmg). I was told that the driver should be available on their support page in a few days.
Step 2: Install the driver. (Reboot)
Step 3: Unlock the SIM card using a cell phone.
Step 4: Insert the SIM card in the modem.
Step 5: Connect the modem to the Mac (it should show up as "Novatel Wireless HSUPA Modem" in System Preferences -> Network)
Step 6: Enter the telephone number in the PPP panel (*99# for sunrise)
Step 7: In the Modem panel, select Modem: WWAN Support, check "Enable error correction...", uncheck "Wait for dial tone..." , select "Tone Dialing" and "Sound Off".
Step 8: Connect to the internet...

This worked for me - spent only half an hour on the phone =).

HTH
-Urs

Oct 12, 2007 11:51 AM in response to Urs Roethlisberger

Thanks very much. This really was it. The Sunrise tech support was very friendly (I even did not have to wait too long). The guy sent me by mail the driver and stayed at the phone until I had installed it. He supported me very well. He said that they sell these modems only since a week and there was a problem from Novatel that they did not send the CD with the driver. All should be solved within a few days.

Nov 15, 2007 12:39 PM in response to phsauter

If you want the drivers for MC950D USB wireless modem... you have to visit this page: http://www.sunrise.ch/it/privatkunden/kundendienst/downloads/novatel-ovation-mc9 50d-download.htm It's in Italian but... Here you can download the drivers!!!! Select MacOs X and download it. You can download the installation manual too. It's in Italian, but it doesn't matter, I think it worths it. It works perfectly! at least till version 10.4.10. I tried to run it on the new OS 10.5 but it doesn't work. Anyway... Gotcha! visit that page and forget problems... At last!

Dec 21, 2007 12:09 PM in response to Phixika

Pues desintalé el escritorio movistar. Descargué los drivers de la página web que hay mas arriba de la compañia "sunrise" e hice la instalación manual desde las preferencias de red.
Señalas el modem.
USUARIO: MOVISTAR
PASS: MOVISTAR
WWAN: Novatel
Modelo: GSM
Punto de acceso: MOVISTAR.ES

Todo lo demás quietecito. Pones el modem, esperas un ratito y le das a conectar. Si falla alguna vez ten paciencia. Cuando se conecta finalmente va muy bien. AHHH. Quita el PIN a la tarjeta antes que nada.

Suerte

How to start a MC950D USB wireless modem on a Mac Book Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.