7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 22, 2007 8:44 PM by maximb
Stephen Dawson1 Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
I'm having a wierd problem with my new 24" aliminium iMac. I'm getting quite a few of the following in the system log:

kernel[0]: AppleYukon2 - bad packet received. length: 60, packet status bits: Good flow-control packet

All my machines are connected via a Netgear GS724T managed gigabit switch, which in turn connects to an ADSL2+ modem/router. An older 17" iMac doesn't get these errors. I've tried a brand new cat 6 tail from the switch directly to the 24", and plugged each iMac into the other's port on the switch. So I've eliminated any cabling errors. The error messages are always exactly the same, including the length of 60.

If, using network prefs, I downgrade to a 100Mb speed the errors don't occur. Also, if I stay at 1Gb and disable flow control they don't occur. Or if I disable flow control in the switch. Via Google I found this reference (between the dashed lines):

-----------------------
An engineer familiar with the driver tells me that this message is not a real error, and can be ignored.

- Kevin

On Mar 29, 2007, at 11:08 AM, Michael Tuexen wrote:

I'm stress testing a transport layer using a MacMini (Intel) and a MacBookPro
connected via a Netgear Gigabit Switch GS 108.

In the Console of the MacMini the message
AppleYukon: bad packet received, length 60, packet status bits: Good flow-control packet

Any idea what is wrong here? A bug in the driver, the switch or something else?
-----------------------

So it almost sounds like this is a diagnostic message left in the driver to debug flow control or something, but it's strange that it only happens on this one iMac. Can anyone shed any light?

Aluminium iMac 24" 2.8GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.10)