Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple mail won't close

hello,
I'm on a new imac using apple mail (setup with 3 imap accounts).
apple mail works fine when using it, but when I'm done with it and choose to quit the program, it gets stuck. It just sits there and won't quit.

I have to open a command line and do a kill -9 to kill apple mail.

What would cause this?

the same imap accounts work perfect on mozilla thunderbird.

Thanks,

Oskar

imac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 11, 2007 7:22 PM

9 replies

Oct 12, 2007 8:26 AM in response to Community User

Hello Oskar.

Go to Apple Menu > System Preferences > Network, choose Network Port Configurations from the Show popup menu, and make sure that the configuration used to connect to Internet appears at the top of the list. Leave checked (enabled) only the port configuration needed to connect to Internet and Built-in Ethernet (in that order if not the same), uncheck (disable) the rest of network port configurations and see whether that helps — if it doesn’t, turn ON again the ones you want enabled.

In Mail, open Window > Activity Viewer. What do you see there when Mail refuses to quit? Actually, you may be able to avoid having to force quit Mail by canceling whatever it’s doing (by clicking on the red stop icon of the activity).

Do you have any Mail plug-ins? In the Finder, go to each of the following folders (if they exist). What do you see there?

/Library/InputManagers/
/Library/Mail/Bundles/
~/Library/InputManagers/
~/Library/Mail/Bundles/

To make accurately reporting that information easier, open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal, type the following command (you can just copy it here and paste it in Terminal), and press <Return>. You can then copy the output of that command from Terminal and paste it in your reply to this post:

ls -1 /Library/InputManagers /Library/Mail/Bundles ~/Library/InputManagers ~/Library/Mail/Bundles

Note: For those not familiarized with the ~/ notation, it refers to the user’s home folder. You can easily locate any of the folders referred to in this post by copying the folder path here, doing Go > Go to Folder in the Finder, and pasting the folder path there.

May 26, 2015 7:14 AM in response to David Gimeno Gost

oskar-terans-computer:/Library/Mail oskarteran$ ls -l /Library/InputManagers /Library/Mail/Bundles ~/Library/InputManagers ~/Library/Mail/Bundles
ls: /Library/InputManagers: No such file or directory
ls: /Library/Mail/Bundles: No such file or directory
ls: /Users/oskarteran/Library/InputManagers: No such file or directory
ls: /Users/oskarteran/Library/Mail/Bundles: No such file or directory
oskar-terans-computer:/Library/Mail oskarteran$

Hi,
Here is the output. I tried the first suggestion with the network port configs as well. No luck, mail stick gets stuck when I close it.

Any other ideas?

Oskar

Feb 4, 2008 7:51 PM in response to Community User

I have a similar problem. Actually, my mail application won't work at all. All I get is the spinning beachball of death and the screen locks up. I can read my mail if I go to .Mac, but I can't do anything from the Mail application. To get it to close, I have to force quit. I'm not a very savvy user, so please talk in English when making suggestions! 🙂

Thanks!
katerino

Feb 5, 2008 4:51 PM in response to Community User

And me too. I find that when I click 'Quit' it doesn't and then when I next look 'Quit' is greyed out. So I 'force quit' every time. I'll try David Gimeno Gost's suggestion when I'm wider awake tomorrow.
I'm fully updated on software, have repaired permissions, have no plug-ins. I don't quite understand the business about network ports - are they selected automatically by the computer or software or do we set them up. Would re-installing mail help? Presumably after backing up first.
There must be someone somewhere clever enough to explain it, please??

apple mail won't close

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.