Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't access viewmymessage.com

I have received a couple of mms messages directing me to viewmymessage.com. When I try to access via Safari, I get a note that the server is not available. Anyone encounter this? It's bad enough that you can't send or receive MMS messages, but to not be able to access the site where they can be viewed?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 15, 2007 4:52 PM

14 replies

Oct 15, 2007 4:56 PM in response to jmcmcg1

Have your friends that send you pictures, email them to you from their phone.

They just have to set up your email address in their phone and you will get their text picture as an email.

Then store their email address that comes in with the picture on your phone, and you can now email them pictures and they will arrive on their phones and text messages with pics.

Then you will never have to worry about the viewmymessages site.

Message was edited by: tikigiant

Oct 17, 2007 3:26 PM in response to jmcmcg1

I have had the same thing happen to me as well and I have no clue why. Sometimes I get them, but it can be days after the person sends it. I have reached the point that I tell people not to bother sending mms to me as the phone is not designed to receive this kind of information. Sadly mms is a standard and I am not about to tell everyone that interact with that they need to do it Apple's way. I bought the phone, I need to deal/accept the absence of this ability.

Dec 2, 2007 2:54 PM in response to Morris66

does anyone know the reasoning apple used to omit the MMS from the iPhone ? As for the viewmymessages.com website, i gave up on that. i just keep reminding folks that my iPhone does not live up to the hype and please email photos. I won't even attempt the viewmymessages site anymore, too darn frustrating, i almost smashed my phone in utter frustration.

Dec 13, 2007 9:40 PM in response to cuzic4n

Here is my update after calming down and remembering when the iPhone came out I knew it didn't support MMS from the reviews. I figured you can get around that with email so no big deal. It wasn't till 6 months later that enough things were fixed(PRICE/word/excel/sdk/crashes/stability/imap/songsASringtones/etc) with the iPhone and I wasn't willing to wait for v2 hopefuls(GPS/flash/3g/vidrecord/instant messaging/stock widget/voice memos/MMS/copyPaste/spotlight/quicktime/mediaplayer/etc) that I was ready to get it.

So now that I have it.. Here is what I have realized about the *MMS madness*:

Some people claim that they can get into the site via wifi but not on edge. I can get to it but it takes me a lot of tries to get logged in via wifi. It shows me the pic but the .mp3 for sound I cannot access so I don't hear anything. I tap on the mp3 and it just errors out. On Edge I cannot load the viewmymessage.com site... I get "Safari could not open the page because the server stopped responding."

Some people claim they can get to the viewmymessage.com site only on their computer and not even on wifi.. I can get to it via wifi but not Edge..

Some people claim that they can get to the viewmymessage.com site on their computer but they can't get past the login screen. I say keep trying that **** username/pwd..

Some people claim there is a flash(.swf) problem, but there is no flash at login. I checked the source code of the website. This problem doesn't happen until you get into the site and the site uses .swf to display images. I don't see .swf to display images when getting in with firefox. I see .swf to display images when getting in with IE. In IE I was able to right click and save the image.

The messages expire in 7 days once on the viewmymessages site.

Some suggest that if you want to save the image once into the site, then you have to take a screenshot because you cannot get it out of the .swf easily. Others including myself have said that they can right click and save image as when using firefox and/or IE..

I haven't been able to login to viewmymessages on windowsXP using Safari 3.0.4. I did get in via opera 9.24 as was able to right click save image. I didn't test on my mac or linux box

Some say they get the wrong messages once they login. They see others messages. I did not experience this.

Some people claim the site was designed to work with internet explorer and only works with that. Others say that no browsers have worked for them. Others including myself say they have gotten in with plenty of other browsers.

Some people claim that you have to enter you username/password multiple times on the site and it tends to work. This has been my experience..

Apple should at least give you copy and paste to get that login info to the site while on the iphone. I concure for more reasons than that.. 😀

Apple should give you a url link or something so you don't have to go back and forth from messaging to safari. Seriously!

The viewmymessage.com login site isn't even HTTPS. Arrgggg...

People claim the viewmymessage.com site is blocked and they just get timeouts directly from the iphone. I only see this when on Edge. Some people have confirmed via support calls that viewmymessage.com is blocked on edge for some 'security' concerns.. You think they are trying to protect themselves on their own network since they are not using HTTPS? but if on wifi then your messages are free game? but hey wifi is not their problem... Arrrggg...

Rumor is that Apple is getting beat up enough... so people need to keep complaining and an update will come in 08.

*Now for my final take on why I think Apple didn't put MMS in there.* Read the "Challenges faced by MMS" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MultimediaMessagingService
There are limits on MMS with size and the varying implementations. Apple probably wanted a standardized way of dealing with "rich" messaging and less limits on data size & content..well that is EMAIL. Heck some MMS uses FTP.. now that is non-encrypted info of yours.. So, It makes a lot of sense when you really think about trying to produce an international & secure device.. The flaw is that they are too ahead of the curve on that email only concept and need to support MMS for convenience & current adoption usability.. or at least have a server-side option that we can have them forwarded to our email accounts.

I don't work for apple or have any insider info.. this is just me googling/reading and thinking...

Please everyone take the time to raise some **** on message boards and/or via phone so that Apple will feel the pressure and deliver..!!!@!!@$!#$#@$%

Dec 16, 2007 12:55 PM in response to homertime33

I really (really!) cannot stand the viewmymessage service. I have yet to get a single one to work. Very frustrating. While I read the long post as to why Apple might not include it, I still disagree. MMS is functioning fine on all other phones and networks and many people use it with regularity.

Finally, if we are going to suffer through without being able to properly view and attached picture (or sound file), then at least make the link in the SMS screen a direct link without any login information needed.

Dec 21, 2007 10:12 AM in response to jmcmcg1

You all should know that the viewmymessage.com is a AT&T web site. The problem is not an iPhone problem. I have attempted to view messages as well, and it does not matter if I am on a PC or on my Mac. There is an issue with AT&T's webserver. The problems I encounter is that it takes 4-5 times to enter the information ie Msg. ID and Password before it takes. I have been on the phone with AT&T for the past hour. They do not seem to know how to escalate this issue. The woman I spoke to was emailing "someone" but she (the tech person) did not seem to get it. The only thing I can tell you is to keep plugging your msg. id in and password, and eventually it works. FRUSTRATING all ALL get out.. but it does finally work. HOPEFULLY someone at Apple and AT&T get their heads together, maybe read some of these posts and their product marketing teams can fix this.

Dec 21, 2007 11:20 AM in response to jmcmcg1

I love my iphone, but let's face it-Viewmymessage.com is weak. Apple chose AT&T so they need to insist upon better service from them. If my Sprint phone gets a picture, it hyperlinks me to the web and I view it. Flash or no flash, this is important to me and many other people. In addition to the feedback page, it is important to gage how many people think this is a big issue in these discussion pages.

can't access viewmymessage.com

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.