Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

video formats

I have a short (7 minute) video on a DVD. I want to copy it so that the recipient can play it on a DVD player. I have a few questions...

1) Since it is short, is it OK to copy it to a CD?
2) Does it need to be in a certain format to be read by a DVD player (not computer)?
3) What's the best way to do it? (I do have iLife, if that's necessary)

G4, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Oct 17, 2007 11:38 AM

7 replies

Oct 19, 2007 4:35 PM in response to taueva

Since no one on this forum was addressing my questions completely I went down to the Apple Store, where I found someone who could. The "Genius" there said:

1) No matter how short it is I should use a DVD because on a CD the video part either wouldn't record or it couldn't be read (I don't remember which he said).
2) I didn't need to worry about the format if the original DVD would work on a DVD player because the copy would be just the same.
3) I copied it in Disk Utility, which made a dmg of my original (Images > New > Image from disc). Then it asked for my disc and burned it.

The copy was successful. There was only one problem: I had no way to name the disc. I tried again by inserting the new disc first and naming it, but it didn't make any difference, the generic name once again was attached to the copy.

So, does anyone know how to make this copy WITH its having the name I want?

Oct 20, 2007 10:33 PM in response to taueva

When you copy a disc through Disk Utilities there is no opportunity to name the new disc and it doesn't default to the name of the one it's copying.

If you try to do an end run and insert the new disc and name it before burning through DU, DU ignores this name and still burns to the generic name, leaviing 2 icons on the desktop, the one that contains the burned material with the generic name and an empty one with the desired name.

Anybody out there who can tell me another way to do it?

video formats

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.