Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sawtooth upgrade to dual proc...hmmm...

I have always read that you must check older AGP G4s to be sure that the Uni-North chipset revision is 7 or greater to upgrade to dual processors, but the articles seem to always refer to OS9 when they mention the incompatibility. I know that they ALSO say that you can only use 1.5 GB of RAM in the Sawtooth, whereas OS X will happily recognize the maximum 2GB that you can physically put in the machine.

Does anybody know if OS X can utilize dual processors on an older-rev logic board? I have a "Sawtooth" AGP G4 with Uni-N rev. 3. I already have a 1.2GHz GigaDesigns single-processor upgrade clocked at 1.3 and stable as the day is long, but I WANT dual processors. Digital Performer and lotsa plugs chew up CPU like candy.

It's either this or spend two or three times as much money on a MDD Dual 1.25 or something. Don't have the cash to be looking at G5s.

I'm not holding out much hope here, but I'd feel really stupid if I didn't ask and it WAS possible...

Posted on Oct 28, 2005 6:44 PM

5 replies

Oct 29, 2005 5:52 PM in response to Thomas Stillwell

Hi Thomas !

The Uni-N revision number has to do with the dual processor's upgrade compatibility with the existing motherboard.

An option for you would be to scan eBay and also Mac-parts related sites for a Uni-N7 or better mobo or parts machine, and swap out the mobo.

Or find a G4 that already has a low end dual in it that someone is selling 'cuz they don't want to invest any money in it.

OS X (10.4 for certain) DOES natively use dual processors if they are available........

Kevin

Oct 29, 2005 7:00 PM in response to Kevin Moniz

Thank you for replying.

I understand everything you said, and I'm certainly aware that OS X is multi-processor capable (I've been in IT and consulting for over 20 years now), but you didn't answer the question that I was asking...namely, is the Uni-N >= 7 an absolute requirement, or is it only a OS 9 requirement. In other words, will OS X work with a Uni-N = 3 motherboard and a dual-processor upgrade installed.

I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I'm just trying to nail down a very specific answer. Thank you for your help!

Scott

Oct 29, 2005 9:41 PM in response to Thomas Stillwell

Hi,
How's this:
A quote from Sonnet re Dual's and Uni-North ASIC>
"Some of Apple’s earlier Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) computers were manufactured with an application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC) that prevents the use of multiprocessors. This situation results from the code contained in the Apple ASIC, which is beyond Sonnet’s control.
The problem is known in those systems which have the revision 3 Uni-North ASIC (more on identifying this below). Other Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) models are compatible with the Encore/ST G4 Duet."

You may wish to read this article about single 2.0GHz performance.

Dave

Sawtooth upgrade to dual proc...hmmm...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.