Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant hangs at "Transferring ..."

I got a Power Mac G4 Quicksilver (original variety, not the "2002" version) to go into Target Disk Mode, with the intention of migrating an account from it to a brand-new new Intel Mac Mini.

It sees the FireWire connection. (That took a while, but I think the trouble was due to dust bunnies in the G4's little-used FireWire ports.)

I get as far as selecting which items to transfer, and tell it to proceed.

Then I see two Mac logos with an arrow between them, and "Transferring Information" (or maybe it was Transferring Data", I forget, exactly), and progress bar at the bottom.

The progress bar stays blank, with no evidence of any progress happening (no flowing blue). I can move the cursor around, but there's noting to click anyway. After a while the Mini goes to Sleep, with the power LED pulsing slowly.

Several times I've rebooted the Mini, to try selecting different items to transfer, (eg. not the Applications or Documents) but the results are the same. I'm getting real tired of that "Getting Started/Welcome" show and that bouncy tune.

Yes, I have read +kimaccdual: A Basic Guide for Migrating to Intel-Macs+ at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=435350
I'm thinking I'll have to go that route eventually, but shouldn't the Migration Assistant at least have +transferred some files+, regardless of whether or not it was a good idea?

I broke down and typed in the account data to get by the setup and registration, and the FireWire worked for the purposes of dragging files over manually, so I'm not inclined to believe it's the fault of the FireWire ports or cable.

Any ideas as to why Migration Assistant hung up? Or was it actually transferring data in it's sleep? I waited like half an hour to see if the progress bar would do anything.

2 GHz Intel Core Duo Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 18, 2007 9:29 PM

2 replies

Oct 19, 2007 7:28 AM in response to John Rose6

Yes, I have read kimaccdual: A Basic Guide for Migrating to Intel-Macs at http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=435350
I'm thinking I'll have to go that route eventually, but shouldn't the Migration Assistant at least have transferred some files, regardless of whether or not it was a good idea?

I ran into the same problem. Basically it is not a good idea, and it can cause problems later on like a non-upgradeable system and/or kernel panics. Follow the tip Kappy and I wrote.

Message was edited by: a brody

Nov 13, 2007 8:27 AM in response to a brody

We ended up doing the transfer from the G4 to the Mac Mini manually, dragging over what files nd library items seemed appropriate, and it worked not too badly. Just tedious.

Once I wiped the main hard drive on the G4 (while keeping its second drive intact, as a backup) and did a clean install from the Tiger disks, followed by the slew of updates, the Migration
Assistant worked fine for the transfer from the G3's hard drive to the G4.

It always pays to have extra hard drives to create cloned backups, just in case. Now I just have to get us a Firewire enclosure to pop one of the spare hard drives into, so that we can perform bootable backups of the Mac Mini's internal drive.

Migration Assistant hangs at "Transferring ..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.