Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CD/DVD burner firmware up to date?

How do I check to see if my CD/DVD burner firmware is up to date?

Windows XP Pro

Posted on Oct 24, 2007 8:13 PM

4 replies

Oct 26, 2007 10:09 PM in response to b noir

Hi, Thanks so much for your offer of help. The reason I want to do this is because cd's that I burn won't play in my car (2000 Toyota Tundra). I've tried cd/r and cd/rw. The cd/r will play other places but not my car. In reading other posts, sometimes the same problem had to do with the burner firmware. So thought I'd try that route. So without furthur ado...

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq dc5100 MT(PZ582UA)
iTunes 7.4.3.1
CD Driver 2.0.6.1
CD Driver DLL 2.0.6.2
LowerFilters: Cdr4_xp (6.1.1.42),
UpperFilters: GEARAspiWDM (2.0.6.1), Cdralw2k (6.1.1.42), pwd_2k (6.1.1.42),

Current user is an administrator.

Video Display Information:

Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

Connected Device Information:

Disk drive, WDC WD800JD-60LSA5, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [0,0]
Disk drive, Canon MP500Storage USB Device, Bus Type USB
CD-ROM Drive, LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-4839S, Bus Type ATA, Bus Address [0,0]

If you have multiple drives on the same IDE or SCSI bus, these drives may interfere with each other.
Some computers need an update to the ATA or IDE bus driver, or Intel chipset. If iTunes has problems recognizing CDs or hanging or crashing while importing or burning CDs, check the support site for the manufacturer of your computer or motherboard.

D: LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-4839S, Rev 1QS5
Drive is empty.

Oct 27, 2007 9:24 AM in response to spicy icy

+Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)+
+Hewlett-Packard HP Compaq dc5100 MT+

Okay. When I search for that at HP, I get two different models, so I'll give you the XP Pro download pages for both of them (there's a picture of each on the downloads page):

HP Compaq dc5100 Microtower PC (XP Pro)

HP Compaq dc5100 Small Form Factor PC (XP Pro)

... So head to the page with a picture of your particular model on it when you want to check for updates to your componentry.

There isn't an update listed for your LITE-ON CD-RW SOHR-4839S in the "Firmware" section of either downloads page, which suggests that you're up to date on the firmware for that.

+I've tried cd/r and cd/rw. The cd/r will play other places but not my car. In reading other posts, sometimes the same problem had to do with the burner firmware.+

Hmmmm. Have you tried reducing the burning speed when you try to make that CD? The controls for that are in your iTunes preferences.

Go "Edit > Preferences", click the "advanced" tab, click the "burning" subtab to see the burning speed options.

(Another thing that might be worth experimenting with is seeing if the Tundra accepts the CD if you try burning it on another brand of media.)

CD/DVD burner firmware up to date?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.