Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NEC 3540A vs. Pioneer DVR 109

I'm planning to replace my combo drive with a dual layer superdrive on my Power Mac G5 (runs Tiger, 10.4.1). Although both NEC 3540A and Pioneer DVR 109 are available for around the same price, the NEC 3540A seems to be a little faster for certain write and read tasks compared to the Pioneer DVR 109.

Would anyone have specific recommendations for and against these? This would be from the perspective of getting it working (with firmware updates, if required) as well as speed and reliability. I'm not sure which one I should get.

I do understand that a firmware update may be required to get the drive working as expected. I also checked xlr8yourmac and it looks like people have had success with both these models (although there are more records for the Pioneer DVR 109 than for the NEC 3540A).

The differing specs are listed here.

NEC 3540A
WRITE speeds
CD-R 48X
CD-RW 32X
DVD+R DL 8X
DVD-R DL 4X

READ Speeds
CD-ROM 48X

Pioneer DVR 109
WRITE speeds
CD-R 40X
CD-RW 24X
DVD+R DL 6X
DVD-R DL 6X

READ Speeds
CD-ROM 40X

Thanks! 🙂

Posted on Jun 29, 2005 4:49 PM

14 replies

Jun 29, 2005 6:21 PM in response to Hussein-New-York

Hussein,
I saw in another thread that you had bought a NEC 3540 drive recently. Did it work on the Power Mac G5 (OS X 10.4.1) without any changes at all (firmware as well as other patches for the OS or the applications)? If you had to apply any patches (or changes), could you please list them?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks! 🙂

Jun 29, 2005 7:35 PM in response to wiseguy27

Hi

I just installed the drive this evening, in Tiger no patches, etc., are needed.
You have to remove the drive tray faceplate, but that unclips very easily by pushing up & out from the bottom outer edges.

Burned an 13-track Audio CD from iTunes @ 48X (2 minutes)... iDVD5.01 also sees the drive, so I don't expect any issues there. If you want to burn Dual Layer media in IDVD5.01, you will need the patched version linked elsewhere in these discussions.

Jul 31, 2005 1:49 AM in response to wiseguy27

OK here's the scoop...I've got em' all.

The Pioneer 109: My favorite, fastest ripper on this planet we call Earth. Great smooth burns too.

The NEC 3500+series: Smooth drives, good burns but the slowest ripper on this planet we call Earth. They also tend to hang up a lot during rips.

The Sony: smoothest burns, not great burn speed and an OK ripper.

Conclusion, buy a Pioneer 109 and flash it, you won't regret it.

NEC 3540A vs. Pioneer DVR 109

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.