Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone and Alpine iDA-X001 - compatibility?

I have an Alpine iDA-X001 stereo system in my car which was designed by Apple / Alpine to make it the best iPod stereo on the market. It works brillianly with my 5th Gen iPod and my 2nd Gen Nano.
I purchased an iPhone a couple of weeks ago, but when I plug it into the stereo I get an error message saying its incompatible.

Obviously there won't be a firmware update for the stereo to make it work with the iPhone - so will there be a firmware update for the iPhone to make it work with the stereo?! I would have thought a 'Made for iPod' device like the iDA-X001 (which has only been on the market since April) would have been something that Apple made sure the iPhone worked with.

Posted on Oct 25, 2007 2:12 PM

16 replies

Nov 1, 2007 8:58 AM in response to Peter Rattray

I am running FW 1.1.1 and so far have only used the High speed Ipod data Cable. I can confirm it is functioning correctly and the only warning I get is for Airplane Mode. I have not tried it with the USB cable however, I have read that your album art (may/may not) show using the USB cable but not with the Ipod Data Cable. I just recently installed this deck with the alpine bluetooth module everything is working well.

Nov 2, 2007 3:16 PM in response to E-Roc

Hey, are you guys with the iDA-X001 getting albumart showing up from the iPhone connected with the KCE-422i cord then? I'm just going through a refund on a horrible Pioneer DEH-7900BT incompatibility experience with the iPhone (endless Error-A0 messages, and no help from Pioneer) and am in the market for a receiver that actually works with the iPHone (I don't mind the Airplane mode question popping up on initial plug-in - I just want to make sure I can use it for its iPod functions). Also, have any of you used the the iDA-X001 with the KCE-300BT bluetooth adapter successfully with the iPod? The BTooth worked great with the iPhone - I'm going to really miss that...

Nov 19, 2007 3:29 PM in response to timriley

Anyone got a clue why the iPhone I borrowed tested fine on my iDA-X001, but the one I bought does not?

Looks like its identically configured, but instead of displaying artwork & responding to the head unit it just shows 'no song' on the iDA-X001.

It seems as if it doesn't search the device properly when it is plugged in (even though I get the airplane mode message)

Its probably just a setting I'm missing but if it is I can't see it. Maybe I should flatten the phon & start over.

Dec 6, 2007 4:25 AM in response to Hamish Morrison

Hey I have the same setup: IDA-X001 + Iphone.

I only use it with the USB-Connector. I can confirm that it works like my Ipod 5G. I also get the error message asking for airplane mode. But it works fine.

The only problem I have (maybe someone has a solution):

I paired the Iphone and the IDA-X001 via Bluetooth. Hands free calling and phonebook works great.
But the next time I enter my car the Alpine does not pick up the BT connection automatically. I have to go to the setup, go to BT and go to paired devices. There is my Iphone listed and with a click I get connected.

Why is it not connecting automatically like all my other phones did before?!

I do not not whether the problem is in the Iphone or in the Alpine. Do you have any recommendations?

I run 1.1.1 on my Iphone

Dec 16, 2007 3:58 AM in response to VAGO2

Just got my bluetooth adapter fitted & seems to working fine. I have a couple of niggles though. My large address book takes for ever to update, & never gets further than 'G'. It should copy 1000 contacts & it doesn't seem like it's done so. It's slightly confusing & annoying that multiple entries for the same contact are seen 2, 3 or even 4 times if you have landline, mobile, fax etc. Can't see a way round that currently as the ipone is more of a PDA than a simple phone with a tel no against a name type contact list.

My solution is to create a smaller sub group of 'must have' contacts only, and just sync that group to the iPhone. As it is very slow to scroll down the contact list this should help here too.

Most annoying is the inability of the unit to allow manual input of a number that is not in your address book. That's probably just the way it is, but as I was not able to see it working before it was installed I didn't know what to expect really. Unless anyone can tell me different it looks like you have to do that the old fashioned way & dial from the phone.

Still, overall I would recommend the bluetooth adapter to iPhone users with the iDA-X001. It's a lot better than having to drive around with the headset in your ear!

Message was edited by: Hamish Morrison

Mar 14, 2008 7:33 AM in response to Peter Rattray

Gentlemen,
I need to pose a question to the masses. I just recently purchased an IPhone and am now using it with my iDA-X001. I have noticed a few quirks and wanted to see if everyone else had the same issues. I first tested the IPhone about 6 months ago with a friend’s using the slow USB cable…it did not work at all. Alpine only recommends using the high speed cable. However, since I have bought my new IPhone I believe there has been a software push because now the IPhone does work with the slow speed usb cable.

As advertised I get the warnings about going to airplane mode but by clicking no I get functionality with the slow speed cable which also gives me album art where the high speed cable does not. I have noticed that now the album art seems to be slightly distorted; like when you try to blow up a thumbnail picture. The resolution doesn't seem right. I didn't notice this before with my old IPod video. I also have noticed that sometimes during rapid fwd advances a song may not play. It is like the song is skipping. If I go back and then forward it seems to allow it to reset on the song and it comes through. I have not noticed this skipping with the high speed cable. Has anyone else encountered these problems?

<Edited by Moderator>

Mar 23, 2008 3:15 PM in response to Acgriggs

I am having similiar issues, however with ipod touch. The album art looks very crappy, next and previous track buttons sometimes will not respond, the songs go into chipmunks speed mode automatically sometimes and other times they refuse to play. I have the latest software on the touch as of 03/23/08 and still the issues. Have you guys noticed that Alpine already put out a newer version of the unit with the first gen still having a lots of issues?

iPhone and Alpine iDA-X001 - compatibility?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.