Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme with 802.11n Original software

Hi folks.

My wife made some "House cleaning" and it seems that my Airport Extreme base Station with 802.11n BOX has gone to the trash (no kidding) with the Installation software in it !!
I can't find my original CD anymore.

Would anybody know where I could find the original installer that comes on the CD ? I found the Airport Utility 5.2.1 here ( http://supportdownload.apple.com/download.info.apple.com/AppleSupport_Area/Apple_Software_Updates/Mac_OSX/downloads/061-3643.20070813.60P1c/AirPortUtility521.dmg) but it doesn't install the Airport Disk Utility, either it's mentionned...

I'm moving to Leopard and therefore need it.

Thanks very much in advance.

Thierry

Message was edited by: Thierry Di Lenarda

PowerMac G5 Quad, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2 GB RAM ECC - nVidia 7800 GT - HD WD Raptor 150 GB + Hitachi 500 GB - BT/APX

Posted on Oct 26, 2007 7:36 AM

9 replies

Oct 26, 2007 10:39 PM in response to Thierry Di Lenarda

Here's a workaround to install the AirPort Utility from the 5.2.1 update ...
o Download AirPort Base Station Update 2007-002.
o Double-click AirPortBaseUtility521.dmg to mount and display it's contents.
o From the AirPortUtility window, right-click on "AirPortUtility.pkg."
o Select "Show Package Contents" from the pop-up menu.
o In the "AirPortUtility.pkg" window, double-click on the "Contents" folder to open it.
o In the "Contents" window, double-click on the "Archive.pax.gz" file. This will create a new folder on your Desktop, named "Archive." Both the AirPort Utility and the AirPort Disk Utility will be inside Archive/Applications/Utilities folder. You can copy or move them to your Applications folder.

Oct 29, 2007 8:26 AM in response to Tesserax

Thanks for the tip, Tesserax.

I picked up all the 4 objects in archive.pax which are :

In Applications/Utilities :
Airport Utility 5.2.1
Airport Disk Utility 1.2.1

In System/Library/Contextual Menu Items:
AirPort Disk Menu.plugin 1.2.1

In System/Library/Core Services :
Airport Base Station Agent 1.2.1

All these 4 objects already exist within Leopard, except 1st is v5.2.2 and 4th is v1.2.2.

So I still don't know how to activate the Contextual Menu Item for the Airport Disk. When I tick the check box in the Airport Disk Utility, it doesn't show up like it does on my Tiger 10.4.10 MacBook Pro...

Hope it'll be addressed in a near update
Thanks again Tesserax, I let the topic opened as the problem is not completely solved, or anyone could bring a solution to make it work.

Dec 19, 2007 6:51 PM in response to Tesserax

Can anyone help me? I purchased the original Airport Card for my computer. It didn't come with any software. I figured I could download the software BUT I can't find anything. I do have a software disk for the newer airport extreme but am not sure that it will work with the original. Do I need software for the original card? If so where can I get it?

Dec 19, 2007 8:03 PM in response to Duane

Okay. Now that I have that figured out. Why in gods name is my computer not seeing the card? I'm gonna blow it up. I am. I'm a reasonably patient person but I'm gonna blow it up.

Purchased the original card from Macwireless.com. Installed the card. Anntenna is attached. It all fits. But when I open up my networking it doesn't even recognize that any little piece of god forsaken metal is sitting in the little slot inside my nasty computer. What am I doing wrong? Please Duane. Help!

Dec 19, 2007 8:15 PM in response to showen

You could try resetting the open firmware.

1. Start up into Open Firmware by pressing and holding the Command-Option-O-F key combination during startup.
  2. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-nvram
  3. Press Return.
  4. At the Open Firmware prompt, type: reset-all
  5. Press Return.

If the card still isn't recognized, one or more of the following is true:

• The card isn't installed correctly. It may not be completely pushed into the slot.
  • The card is defective.
  • The Mac's motherboard is defective and not recognizing the card.

Dec 19, 2007 8:46 PM in response to Duane

Thanks for all the info. I tried the firmware reset to no avail. I'm guessing there is somethignwrong with the motherboard. SO with that being said. Can you help me figure out another way to get on the internet from this computer? I have a Belkin router in the house. It needs to stay in it's location but I need this computer inmy daughters room. I have been able to get to the internet in the past though a hard line from the computer to the modem. Is it possible to have two separate modems in one house on one cable line? OR is there a piece of hardware that can interface from a hard line on my computer to the current modem?

Airport Extreme with 802.11n Original software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.