Previous 1 2 Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Oct 29, 2007 10:52 PM by Mark T1
Richard Walker Level 1 Level 1
If you don't like the 3D Dock you can change it:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=2007101815375480

Someone has posted applescripts to easily change it.

I prefer the flat dock mainly because I found it hard to see the little dots indicating open apps - especially on the default apple picture as some of the stars look like the dots.
  • Penhoet4247 Level 1 Level 1
    I don't like the way the new dock shows open apps either. I can barely tell that there's a little dot there at all. At least Apple should offer us a way to adjust the brightness of the open app indicator. It's just too confusing.
  • ceebee23 Level 1 Level 1
    Roll on 10.5.1 .... if Apple is listening to this or any other Mac forum we should see the ability to change the dock and menubar transparency and 3d style.

It is a real pity that Leopard's good features ..ie coverflow etc in the improved finder are bing drowned by the use-ability issues with the new dock and menubar.

grrrrrrrrrrrr....
  • casious Level 1 Level 1
    This new dock, visually, is too confusing for me. I really miss the tiger dock's simplicity and the size of the icons, the icons seem way to small in this new dock. Apple needs to give us some choices in this area since this is where everything we do on a mac begins. If only they had the tiger doc with a slight reflection....oh how great that would be!
  • Matters Level 1 Level 1
    uh... magnification?
  • be236 Level 1 Level 1
    I like the new 3rd Dock.. seems sophisticated and elegant... Just takes a little get used to...
  • Michael Oman-Reagan Level 2 Level 2
    Open System Preferences, click on Dock - check the box that says Magnification.
    Drag the slider bar for Size and Magnification until the dock is the size you would like.
  • Network 23 Level 6 Level 6
    expertise.macosx
    Mac OS X
    In Leopard, can you still toggle magnification and other Dock options by right-clicking the dock divider, like you can in Tiger?
  • artpics Level 1 Level 1
    Also in the new dock you can drag the part that look s like a "road divider" to stretch it to your screen
  • pwilson Level 1 Level 1
    BTW...

You can also access the Dock's preferences by Control-clicking on the Dock space between the Apps and the Trash. (The lines that look like highway dividers). You can also toggle the magnification, screen location, etc. settings as well as left-click-dragging to set the size of your Dock. You never really have to open the System Preferences.

pw
    Absolutely! But for many new users, that can be confusing. I also like to encourage users to visit System Preferences to start seeing what other things they can specify. : )
  • Penhoet4247 Level 1 Level 1
    It's not that I dislike the new Dock absolutely, I just wish the little dots under open apps weren't so faint. I'm getting used to it but I don't think a person should have to look so hard at it to see that an app is actually open.
    I enjoyed the 3D dock for a while - and then gave up, took back my screen space and moved it to the left. : )
  • Mark T1 Level 1 Level 1
    Same here. I don't like the 3d Dock and I find it hard to see what apps are running. Why can't the opened app icons be brighter or have a box around them?
Previous 1 2 Next