Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TM does not find my external HD

I have an Olivision external HD that has been connected to my G5 since the first day I had it. I always did a drag n drop to the external to backup important stuff. I was excited to start downloading to my external HD after loading Leopard on to my G5. But, although my Drive 2, as I call my external HD, shows up on my desktop, it does not show up as a selection in my TM setup. Nothing shows up as a choice. How do I get TM to recognize Drive 2 as a back-up disk?

Power Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 26, 2007 11:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 27, 2007 12:15 AM

I think the drives have to be formatted as 'Mac OS Extended' but not sure - have a look in Disk Utility to see what your drive is formatted as.

My drives are formatted as that and work fine.
4 replies

Oct 27, 2007 10:15 AM in response to Allan Morrison

I am not experienced enough to discuss root issues, but to make my external HD work I went into Disk Utility, clicked on my external HD, chose Erase, which brought up a drop down menu having to do with formatting. I chose "Mac OS (case-sensitive, journaled)" and then continued with the erasing. When it was finished, I went back to TM and my external HD was listed in the little menu. I am wondering now how to choose when I want to back up. By the way, it takes a really long time for the backup to complete.

TM does not find my external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.