Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up multiple machines - odd results

I have got TM working fine on my iMac using USB connected drive (tried AEBS but too unreliable).

I've shared the disk out, and from my Macbook get offered the chance to use the iMac connected disk for TM.

So run the first back - it works, but instead of using the correct folders as set up by the iMac, it leaves a 'sparsebundle' file in the root of the remote drive, and a mounted image of the backup on the macbook.

Really odd, because when I first set it up it seemed to work correctly and put the files in a separate folder in the backups.backupdb folder on the USB drive.

24" 2.4Ghz iMac Aluminium. 2Ghz Macbook Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.5), Waiting impatiently for the iPhone to reach the UK on Nov 9th!

Posted on Oct 27, 2007 1:17 AM

4 replies

Oct 27, 2007 8:44 AM in response to Martin Dolphin

If you are backing up locally (from the iMac to the disk connected directly to the iMac via USB/firewire) then TimeMachine backups up to a Backups.backupdb folder at the top level of the backup volume.

If you are backing up over the network (e.g. from your MacBook to the drive shared from the iMac) then Time Machine must create a disk-image (the .sparsebundle file you see) for the machine that is being backed up over the network.

Sounds like things are working as expected.

Backing up multiple machines - odd results

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.