Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drives work on tiger but not on leopard. WHY?

My 2 external hard drives worked fine on tiger. I had the backup program and used it every week. Now that I loaded up leopard, I cant see the external hard drives. When I take the drives and plug them to my mac book pro which I have not yet upgraded, they come up fine.

I cant even see them in disk utility

Please help

G4, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 27, 2007 7:01 AM

7 replies

Oct 27, 2007 8:02 AM in response to REBELinBLUE

My external doesn't work either. It seems like it is trying to boot, but doesn't. Meanwhile, the Mac Pro churns and the fan goes into high gear. At that time the screen freezes and the little rainbow wheel just spins. The only way I could get the Mac back was to power down with the power button on the front of the CPU and unplug the external drive. It's just a backup drive but I would like access to it. I'm looking to see if the manufacturer has a patch online, but I'd appreciate any suggestions ion the meantime. I haven't upgraded to Leopard yet on my MacBook Pro, maybe I'll wait a few days... Anyone know what to do?

Oct 27, 2007 2:03 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

I have a 320GB MyBook Ext HD. When I was installing Leopard I got a message that if I chose my Ext HD as a backup HD all the content would erased.

So I didn't select it as a backup HD.

I've purchased another 320GB Ext HD.

What would happen, since my eMac has only one FireWire port, if I hooked up both Ext HDs to that port? Would I get two Ext HD, one in which my files wouldn't be erased and one that would serve as a backup HD?

Could I just hookup the new Ext HD initially to set up Time Machine and then connect the second Ext HD afterwards. Would that save my old Ext HD's files?

External hard drives work on tiger but not on leopard. WHY?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.