Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I cant see my external hard drives on my Power Mac G4 using leopard

I have a power mac G4 MDD with 2 GB RAM. I have always backed up to a My BOOK 750 GB external HD. After installing leopard, the machine does not even recognize this external hd on the desktop or disk utilities.
I took that external hd to my macbook pro with tiger on it and it recognized it right away.

I installed the leopard on my son's IMAC 2 GB intel duo processor and it recognized it.

Is this a problem with the G4? I even reset the pram without any help as suggested by someone on the board.

Please help

G4

Posted on Oct 27, 2007 10:01 AM

22 replies

Oct 28, 2007 7:14 PM in response to Thomas Bryant

Thanks, but I am confused because they both worked with Tiger. I have a mybook and a maxtor internal drive in an external drive closure. Why does it see them with leopard on my IMAC? Would it help to run erase the disk completely using leopard from my imac?

Dont you believe it is a leopard problem? I am not a computer guy but just a physician but it sure seems to be the one variable that is constant.

Thanks again for patience and help

Oct 28, 2007 7:32 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

Hi-

Is the iMac an Intel?
Reason I ask is there is a known issue with the format of a disk, and the ability of a disk to be bootable in Leopard.

You will not be able to boot a PPC Mac from a GUID partition.
You will not be able to install Leopard onto an APM partition using an Intel Mac.

I am wondering if, possibly, the format of your drives is causing the problem with being "seen" by Leopard on your G4?

If a disk is formatted with a G4, the partitioning format should be APM (Apple Partition Map) by default. If, the disks were formatted on an Intel, they may very well be GUID.

All this may only be conjecture, as the known issue is the boot-ability issue. I just find it interesting that you can see the drives with one machine, and not the other.

Definitely explore any drivers that may be installed on the G4 for the ext. drives. Third party drivers/software will be high on the list of suspects.

Oct 29, 2007 6:17 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

I have the same issue, except mine did this out of the blue tonight. This weekend I ran Time Machine successfully, backing up my G4 Powerbook and an external LaCie Firewire drive, both an a Firewire 800 Lacie Drive. Today at work I ran the laptop and the smaller external drive with no problem. Tonight I plug in both drives again and neither show up. I tried a different drive which I know is good and it doesn't show up either, though it did after my install as well. Under system profiler I'm getting the Unable to list firewire devices notice as well. Kinda *****, as all my files, and my backups are on these drives.

I cant see my external hard drives on my Power Mac G4 using leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.