Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need updated BootCamp ATI Graphics Drivers for Aluminum iMac!!

One of the main reason's I moved to Leopard immediately was to ensure BootCamp kept working, and a desire to get updated ATI Graphics drivers. Unfortunately, the ATI drivers included in the Leopard DVD do not appear any more recent than those that came with BootCamp 1.4 beta.

I'm running Vista Ultimate via BootCamp on a 24" iMac with the ATI Radeon HD 2600 graphics card, which is actually a Radeon Mobility HD 2600. Several games, particularly Quake Wars: Enemy Territory require ATI Catalyst drivers v7.9 or greater to even run. Unfortunately since the iMac uses the Mobility Radeon, the ATI Catalyst 7.9 or 7.10 driver package can't be used to update the graphics drivers on these machines. I tried doing this, and the Catalyst Control Center simply does not install.

We're completely dependent on Apple to update these drivers .. and I'm hoping now that BootCamp is a retail product we'll see updated Windows drivers soon.

If anyone knows when they might be coming, or knows of a workaround to get Quake Wars: Enemy Territory with the current drivers please post!

Multiple, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 27, 2007 10:55 AM

7 replies

Oct 28, 2007 7:52 AM in response to Apple 2GS

To answer your question, upgrading the hardware itself on the iMac is out of the question but if you're running Boot Camp, it may be possible to find updated video drivers for your machine, though I couldn't say for sure. You might want to check out Mobility Modder at

http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

Of course be very very careful when installing these sorts of things, you never know what sort of digital bugbears await.

Oct 28, 2007 9:47 AM in response to Alec Hell

It worked!!!!!!!!

Immense thanks, Alec, for the post. Since I'm running Vista under BootCamp, I needed to modify the instructions on the link below ... and didn't need to do the Mobility Modder thing at all. The trick was being able to find the .inf file in the ATI driver package, and then manually pointing to it. For the record, here's Tweeker's original post on how to update the ATI 2600 drivers in XP:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1017&message=24987376

Here's my slight modification on how I did this in Vista:

Step 1 in the above link says to download Dot Net 2.0 since the ATI driver installer needs it, but since Visat already has Dot Net installed, this wsn't needed.

Step 2, go to ATI driver support page and download the latest Catalyst driver for 32-bit Vista for teh Radeon HD 2600 series, current driver is v7.10 ( https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/gamesite/7-10vista32_dd53254.exe)

Step 3, after download, launch the installer, let it extract the installer files into C:\ATI, and then at the next screen quit the installer. (Note: if you don't do this the installation will continue just fine, and you'll get a working driver but it WON'T be one that works with Quake War: Enemy Territory for reasons described below. To get this to work (and that's the whole point) proceed with the manual process below. If by chance you let the installer do its thing all the way through, now worries, you can uninstall the ATI driver package from the control panel and you'll be rebooted running a standard VGA driver. At this point you can simply continue with the manual process below since the files you need are alerady in C:\ATI)

Step 4, close out the installer and right click on My Computer, go to Properties.

Step 5, go to the Hardware tab in Properties, and then to the Device Manager, drop down the Display adapters, and you should see Mobility Radeon HD 2600 XT, this is WRONG, the video card is not an XT version like it's been rumored to be on the web, it's not a mobile card either.

Step 6, right click on the video card and choose Update Driver, in Vista now pick "Browse my computer for driver software",

Step 7, in the next box don't start browsing yet!!, instead pick "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer", and then click on the "Have Disk" button.

Step 8, Now click Browse and go to C: > ATI > SUPPORT > 7-10 vista32_dd53254 > Packages > Drivers > Display > LH_INF, and select the CL_53254.inf file in there, and click Open.

Step 9, now you should have a huge list of the graphics cards, this is all the cards that the Catalyst driver supports, you want to find ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro, and install that, you might get a message saying this driver isn't certified, ignore it and continue.

Step 10, after all is finished, reboot.

Voila!!!! Enemy Territory will now scream on your Alu iMac

This is all I needed to do to get going, so you can stop here if you wish. The intructions for XP, however, then go on to say:

"The only down side to this, nobody has found a way to fully install Catalyst Control Center, so if you wanna get down and dirty in the video cards settings, you will have to download a program called ATI Tray Tool, you can easily find it with Google, it's basically a ATI CCC clone, lets you force the video cards features like Antialiasing and v-sync."

I've seen multiple opinions on this ... most say that it is possible to install the ATI catalyst control center, and this is preferred over the ATI Tray Tool, but opinions differ on how to do the install. I haven't explored these options a) because I don't seem to need it, and b) now that my display drivers are happy, the last thing I want to do is undo a good thing by somehow messing up the CCC install!

Rock on.

N

Oct 29, 2007 1:51 PM in response to Necrophore

That's great, glad you could sort out the Vista install. Honestly, I was amazed at how much improved the performance was post upgrade, shocked even, especially at how nonfunctional the Boot Camp drivers turned out to be.

To install CCC, once you've installed the drivers download the standalone CCC installer from amd/ati and it should install normally, no trickery involved. I find it quite useful to have, if only to force the screen to maintain the proper proper aspect ratio (4:3 v 16:10) in programs that don't offer widescreen resolutions.

Nov 16, 2007 3:44 PM in response to AdiFish

Thanks for the forum. I got the same problem and tried to do the same configuration steps but it didn't work.
I have XP and followed the manual install drivers and force drivers to be read out of the ATI extracted file. I selected the drivers folder but the computer did not find the INI file. Ddi any of you did this for XP and now the exact path for that one INI file?

Need updated BootCamp ATI Graphics Drivers for Aluminum iMac!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.