12 Replies Latest reply: Feb 2, 2008 8:57 AM by cecemf
domim Level 1 Level 1
iChat under Leopard seems to work fine, I got everything running including video chats and theatre but screen sharing (which works via Finder locally without problem) does not work. I cannot get to see any screen of my iChat partner while he gets a inital 'screenshot' which is not updating, nothing else.

It cannot be a firewall issue as both Macs have been moved to the firewall DMZ and Leopard Firewall is off.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 15" 2,16 GHz, Mac OS X (10.5), 120GB HD, 2GB RAM
  • gazzzmoly Level 1 Level 1
    im having the exact same problem works localy (bhind the routers) i can evan use ichat screen sharing as long as we are both behind a router
  • Ralph Johns (UK) Level 9 Level 9
    expertise.applications
    Applications
    Searching iChat Help suggests that Screen Sharing requires an @mac account for Encryption.

It is unclear in my opinion if this is Required or an option.

8:31 PM Wednesday; October 31, 2007
  • Jens Jakob Jensen Level 2 Level 2
    Searching for "screen sharing" within iChat help gives me:

"You can share screens while using any account that iChat supports: .Mac, AIM, Jabber, or Google Talk. You can also share your screen with others on a local network using Bonjour."

"While every screen sharing connection uses encryption, the highest level of security requires both participants to have .Mac accounts with encryption enabled. If this is the case, you will see a lock icon in the screen sharing window."
    expertise.applications
    Applications
    Yes,

That is why I was (Said it was) unclear.

9:48 PM Wednesday; October 31, 2007
  • Brian Allen Level 2 Level 2
    Are both Macs running 10.5, which is required?
    expertise.applications
    Applications
    Hi,

Since the earlier post I have managed to Screen Share.

I did put the Mac Firewall On.
    It was then as simple as using the item in the iChat Buddies menu (The option to allow sharing has to be On in the Video menu)

It replaced the Video I was having and does not go back to the Video when the Keystroke of Control+ESC is used and the Video chat has to be re-established.

I do not have Encryption.

9:04 PM Tuesday; November 13, 2007
  • Jayson Allyson1 Level 1 Level 1
    After an hour if pulling out my hair, I finally had an idea of what might be causing the crash... I noticed I had my old iSight plugged in (the external firewire iSight) into my Apple Cinema Display. I unplugged it and iChat screen sharing worked PERFECTLY. You should also know that I don't have problems with my iSight, it works well on Video Chat and Audio Chat and even presentation mode but, it screwed up screen sharing.

In conclusion, if you're experiencing sudden connection losses with iChat screen sharing, check to see if you have an iSight plugged into your Mac and unplug it.
    expertise.applications
    Applications
    Try a port on the computer.

7:52 PM Friday; November 16, 2007
  • domim Level 1 Level 1
    I don't think that that might be the cause of the problem. And my iSight is integrated...

I have been making several test, logging out and in again on both macs, have reenabled the sharing-services etc. No success so far. And yes, my Netgear router has UPnP enabled.
    expertise.applications
    Applications
    In that case open the System Profiler and tell me whether it appears in the SUB section.

2:41 PM Sunday; November 18, 2007
  • domim Level 1 Level 1
    Meanwhile, with the 10.5.1 update I do not have problems anymore.
  • cecemf Level 1 Level 1
    I have the same problem and try many things but nothing works !

Both mac (iMac & Mac mini) are Intel et have 10.5.1 with AIM account on iChat.

Any solutions guys ?

Message was edited by: cecemf