Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Want my iCal info drawer back!!

Hi,
just frustrated that they cut the ical info drawer. I know that it might be not very hand on small screens because it decreased the size of the actual calender - but with the new iCal I can´t see any info about events and todos - I first to doubleclick every event to get info - and then the bubble pops up. I´m on a two monitor setup, and when I doubleclick a todo on the right sight of the screen the bubble is hanging between the gaps of the monitors and I have to move it to be able to read. When I close it and doubleclick again it is back to the odd position...grrr...
not so happy now with this evolution - a preference of either bubble or drawer would have been cool - also the possiblity to see the bubble only with one click...
Best regards - Christoph

MacBook Pro 15" 2.4, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Oct 28, 2007 9:55 AM

66 replies

Oct 28, 2007 1:47 PM in response to Christoph Kaiser

I'm also rather frustrated that in the midst of a major OS update Apple programmers have chosen to remove features here and there. You'd think they'd have learned after the iMovie debacle that lots of people are using these features and don't want to see them taken away.

I really liked having the info drawer. It was so easy to just click on an item and I'd see what notes I'd put with it, what time it's running till, and so on. There isn't even an icon to show if there are notes with an event. Now I have to go through extra steps to get the same information. Does this in any way make it a better program? It's really slowing me down. What were they thinking? I hope this is just an oversight that will be fixed very soon.

Oct 29, 2007 2:01 PM in response to Christoph Kaiser

I have to add my voice to call for the return (I've also submitted feedback). It's an absolute disgrace that a really useful feature such as this has been removed, so much for the 300 new features, make that 299 as they removed a really good one!

I use the info sidebar many, many times a day to add notes and info to items. One of the most useful forms is to add all my flight info and booking references when I add my air travel. When I sync this with my phone I have all the info to hand. Now it is very difficult to see this info and take many clicks to input it.

If you use the info side bar please submit the feedback and tell Apple what a complete ****-up they have made here.

Oct 29, 2007 5:39 PM in response to Christoph Kaiser

OK. I found a fix. I simply can't live without my info window in ical. For those who need this function like I do here is a workaround. If you have another mac with Tiger on it copy the old ical and the CALCore.framework located in the system/Library/PrivateFrameworks/ directory of your Tiger mac. Install them on your leopard system. Now the warning.. if you sync with iphone it may remove your ical contents. Please make sure and do both a database backup ical--->file--->backup database first, and also export the calenders as you will need to import them if this happens. So if you have a work catigory/calender select it in the ical sidebar then click on "file" then Export. 🙂 Now you can use the OLD ical with the NEW Leopard!

Oct 29, 2007 5:40 PM in response to Christoph Kaiser

What a mess... I just convinced my wife to upgrade her OSX. I just did so 2 days ago. We use the NOTES aspect of iCal every day, sometimes every hour as we update and modify info.

NOTES is gone... Gone, Gone, Gone, Gone, Gone, Gone....

****. I'm going to hear about this forever. All that work to input the details. All the changes that will need to be made, updated and so forth.

300 improvements, huh. I don't agree. I would have done better to have skipped the newest OSX and stayed with the older one. Now I have a really big issue. $200 bucks spent for a family pack and no way to access one of the main things we've grown to depend on.

What moron decided this was not a worthy aspect of OSX.

Want my iCal info drawer back!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.