Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bose LifeStyle 48 and ATV

Is it possible to connect the ATV to the Bose LifeStyle 48 system?
If so, are there any issues ?
Can the ATV be controled by the Bose remote?
What is the quality?

Thanks

G4, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Speed 1.25GHz-2GB Ram

Posted on Oct 28, 2007 11:23 AM

8 replies

Nov 21, 2007 9:14 PM in response to azulojos

I had been wondering exactly the same thing: However, Bose now makes a very high quality video HMDI/Component video switching device, called a "VS-2 Video Switcher" that is compatible with the Lifestyle 48, and which also follows the highly tested HDMI 1.2 standard.
I did a "what the heck" thing, and just ordered the aTV and the VS-2 for my Lifestyle 48. The intent is to connect the ATV and HD Cable/Recorder to the VS-2...then the VS-2 to the Sony Bravia TV.....will let you know how it works....I'm going to first install Leopard before I install the aTV......

Dec 4, 2007 8:12 AM in response to azulojos

The Bose VS-2 is not fully functional with HDMI. The screens repeatedly go black while you are just sitting there. Tech support tells you all the ways to 're-handshake' the HDMI sources, but it does not fix the problem. You either have to change the Bose output resolution to a lower value and if that works change it back to your default 1080p setting. If not, you have to shutdown all component and the BOSE system. Unplug the Bose for 30 sec, forcing a H/W reset. Then restart each component. Once they are all up, the start the Bose.

I have been met with 50/50 success on this. In the space of a 4 hour period I had to do this 5 times.

All Bose suggests is go to the Component Video cable. The offer no solution, and just blame HDMI. This is totally false. I have another system, not Bose where the HDMI works fine.

BTW, Bose apparently does not make use of the audio going across HDMI. You still have to hook up either optical, digital coax or analog RCA cables to get audio from your sources.

Bose has very much falsely represented this system.

Dec 26, 2007 5:36 PM in response to azulojos

I bought an apple TV for Christmas and tried to hook it up to my Bose 38/48 system I purchased
last year. I hooked up the Apple TV to the Plasma Samsung with an Apple HDMI cable. I hooked
up the sound through the analog ports that were open on the TV as well as the Apple TV. (white and red cables)

How do you start the Apple TV? Do I need to use the Bose Remote? I only use the Bose remote now
to control the sound on the Plasma TV and to control the DVR/DVD. Do I use the Comcast TV control? Not much help on the web sites.

Should I be connecting the Apple TV directly to the Bose system to get it to play through the
surround sound system?

Help...

Mar 24, 2008 11:23 AM in response to RobLeeds

I have my Lifestyle 48 set up as follows

Apple TV to Plasma TV with HDMI - Digital Video
Apply TV to Bose 48 with optical - Digital Audio

Set the Bose optical input to AUX for sound to work and TV input to HDMI. Unfortunately the bose remote only controls the sound. I don't think there is a code for that, but you should be able to very easily program the bose remote to control your comcast cable box.

Bose LifeStyle 48 and ATV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.