Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCal Crash in Leopard - "CalCalendarStore" failure in logs

I am having a consistent crash in iCal since upgrading to Leopard. I have no had a problem. NO OTHER USER on my Mac has a problem launching iCal, only the main admin.

In the logs, the following is the error:

10/28/07 4:39:24 PM iCal Helper[919] * -[CalPersistentStoreCoordinator createPersistentStore:]: error on adding persistent store: Error Domain=NSCocoaErrorDomain Code=258 UserInfo=0x172a60 "Invalid file name." {
NSUnderlyingException = Error validating url for store;
}

10/28/07 4:39:24 PM iCal Helper[919] WARNING: CalCalendarStore: create persistent store failed

I have done a number of things:

1) Cleaned out caches
2) checked HelveticaNue font
3) Removed calendars so that there are no default calendars to load
4) Re-installed Leopard using "Archive and Install"
5) Re-installed iCal from Install Options installer
6) Cleared sync services
7) Reset sync history
8) Repaired permissions
9) Removed previous alias and launched DIRECTLY from Applications folder

I'm baffled. I don't know what this error is and why this is specific to my admin account only. I have about 15 calendars that I sync and sync with my iPhone. I also subscribe to remote calendars too.

I don't know where else to turn or what else to do and would appreciate some advice?!?!?!!!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5), 4 GB RAM, 160hd

Posted on Oct 28, 2007 1:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2007 7:18 AM

Please report this immediately to (800) APL CARE to start the process of correcting the issue. Others have reported identical errors, including the limitation of this issue to accounts with administrative privileges.

This is pretty clearly no something users can impact, as you have discovered. It is important to formalize the problem from a user perspective, and opening a case with AppleCare representatives is pretty much the only way that a user can drive the process involving an issue like this.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2007 7:18 AM in response to InternetMin

Please report this immediately to (800) APL CARE to start the process of correcting the issue. Others have reported identical errors, including the limitation of this issue to accounts with administrative privileges.

This is pretty clearly no something users can impact, as you have discovered. It is important to formalize the problem from a user perspective, and opening a case with AppleCare representatives is pretty much the only way that a user can drive the process involving an issue like this.

Nov 7, 2007 3:50 PM in response to InternetMin

I had a similar problem in Tiger (10.4.10). Here's a response I posted in some other discussions:
---

This is in response to the iCal crash problems. I'm posting this in several different forums, so please pardon the generalized nature of the response.

System:
* Hardware:
** Mac Book Pro,
** 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
** 1.5 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
** 60 GB hard disk
* Software:
** Mac OS X ver 10.4.10

Symptom: iCal suddenly started crashing on launch. Sometimes the calendar would appear and then close before the individual calendars on the side pain would populate. Othertimes it would crash before. Crash reports were almost always generated.

Thanks to the guys at the Oakridge Mall (San Jose, CA) Apple Store, I was given an overview of how to move folders in the ~/Library folder to the desk top, launch iCal, see if that works. We tried the Preferences folder first, that didn't work. I figured it would take a while to narrow it down, so I took my Mac Book home to continue work on it, and I narrowed it down to the Caches folder.

Procedure: (I did all this through the Finder).
1) Move ~/Library/Caches to the desktop.
2) Start iCal. A new Caches folder should be created, and iCal should spend a little time setting up, then iCal should work with all previously existing calendars present and up to date (at this point, I can't tell that I've lost anything at all).
3) Rename the newly created Caches folder to "Caches-New" (or otherwise save this folder).
4) Move the Caches folder which was saved to the desktop back to the ~/Library folder.
5) Copy the following from "Caches-New" to the just-restored Caches folder:
5a) Copy Caches-New/com.apple.iCal to ~/Library/Caches (you will be replacing the old version of this file)
5b) Copy Caches-New/Metadata/iCal to ~/Library/Caches/Metadata (you will be replacing the old version of this folder).

I suspect the problem was with the contents of the Metadata folder.

Hope this helps.

-ktb
karl ^*AT*^ tunnell-braun.com
(expect a spam-filter request for verification)

Nov 14, 2007 12:59 AM in response to Artox

the sollution in dutch:

gelukkig heb ik de oplossing gevonden na lang zwoegen en zweten. alles wat ik maar kon vinden op de fora heb ik geprobeerd, maar niets hielp. het probleem zit hem echter bij de geschiedenis die .mac bijhoudt. deze is vaak corrupt, te groot of the gecompliceerd. op een gegeven moment krijgt iCal dit niet meer getrokken. wat heb ik gedaan om mijn problemen op te lossen?

- zorg dat je backup (.icbu) hebt van je ical agenda's
- zorg dat iCal uit staat
- zet in je .mac configuratiescherm het synchroniseren tijdelijk uit
- doe iSync open en druk op voorkeuren => Geavanceerd: Stel synchronisatie geschiedenis opnieuw in (hier druk je op)
- start Ical op en laad je backup bestand in.
- dan ga je naar het configuratiescherm van .mac => Geavanceerd: selecteer jou computer en druk op "Stel synchronisatie geschiedenis opnieuw in" Kies hier om de gegevens van .mac te verwisselen met die van jou computer. (= 2e pijltje, naar rechts wijzend)
- alles zou terug vlot moeten lopen.

Veel succes!

Nov 19, 2007 7:35 PM in response to Artox

I had the same problem. After experimenting around and trashing every file I could with the term "ical" associated with it, I found my problem to be with the permissions of the "Calendars" folder found inside the the "Library" folder of my home directory.

Set the permissions of the "Calendars" folder manually with cmd-i so that you can read the files, or just trash the folder (you'll lose your calendars if you do this) and you'll be able to use ical again.

iCal Crash in Leopard - "CalCalendarStore" failure in logs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.