Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the Disk Image Mounter Application located?

Hi,

Sometimes when I download something I get it as a MPEG when it should be a DMG. I know I can go to Get Info and select open with but Disk Image Mounter does not show up so where would I find it exaclty? I tried doing a search and nothing came up either.

S.

iMac Intel Core 2 Duo 17" & 1.67GHz PowerPC G4 512 MB DDR SDRAM, Mac OS X (10.4.9), itunes 7.1.1

Posted on Oct 28, 2007 5:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2007 7:01 PM

It's a sneaky one. I tried to catch it in the ActivityMonitor process list -- but it pops into existence for only a second or two when an image is first mounted. Too quick to inspect. But unix always provides a solution (or three). Try this in Terminal.app:

sudo find / -name "\ DiskImageMounter"

/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app
/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskImageMounte r
/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app/Contents/Resources/DiskImageMo unter.scriptSuite
/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app/Contents/Resources/DiskImageMo unter.scriptTerminology

BTW, the "sudo" prefix is optional -- it just avoids cluttering-up the output with a gaggle of "permission denied" error messages. If you don't have admin privileges, redirecting stderr to the bit bucket will do the same:

find / -name "\ DiskImageMounter" 2> /dev/null

...in the beginning was the command line,

Looby
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2007 7:01 PM in response to spiralgirl

It's a sneaky one. I tried to catch it in the ActivityMonitor process list -- but it pops into existence for only a second or two when an image is first mounted. Too quick to inspect. But unix always provides a solution (or three). Try this in Terminal.app:

sudo find / -name "\ DiskImageMounter"

/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app
/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app/Contents/MacOS/DiskImageMounte r
/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app/Contents/Resources/DiskImageMo unter.scriptSuite
/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app/Contents/Resources/DiskImageMo unter.scriptTerminology

BTW, the "sudo" prefix is optional -- it just avoids cluttering-up the output with a gaggle of "permission denied" error messages. If you don't have admin privileges, redirecting stderr to the bit bucket will do the same:

find / -name "\ DiskImageMounter" 2> /dev/null

...in the beginning was the command line,

Looby

Oct 28, 2007 8:08 PM in response to The Looby

The Looby,

Thanks, found it in HD/System/Library/CoreServices/DiskImageMounter.app

The problem is when I select the MPEG and hit Get Info or Open With and I go to that spot the DiskImageMounter.app is faded out so I can't select that as an option. It only lets me pick DivX Converter.app, DivX Player.app, Microsoft Excel, Path Finder.app or Stuffit Expander or Other. Help?

Any ideas?

S.

Message was edited by: spiralgirl

Message was edited by: spiralgirl

Oct 28, 2007 9:17 PM in response to spiralgirl

Not sure how a .dmg would end up with an .mpg suffix -- but if the file contents really are in .dmg format, simply re-naming the file to a .dmg suffix should do the trick. (If it's anything valuable/irreplaceable, I'd suggest making copy before running that experiment.)

An MPEG isn't a "disk image" (in the unix filesystem sense), so D.I.M. wouldn't know what to do with it.

I tried just clicking DiskImageMounter.app, but only got a "puff of mist" and no window -- pretty much what I expected. It's clearly not intended to be run as a stand-alone app, and probably requires some magical incantations/parameters at launch-time.

If you're a command-line hacker, you might find something interesting in the man pages for: hdiutil(1), hdid(8), load_hdi(8), and stuff like that.

...or search http://developer.apple.com for DiskImageMounter documentation,

Looby

Where is the Disk Image Mounter Application located?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.