Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the expected rendering time for video with iDVD 7 on a PowerBook G4

Hi,

I switched to ilife08 from ilife04 this Friday. I also added more RAM 512mo-->2go. Usually, 1 hour of video took about 5 hours of rendering time and 2 hours of video about 12 hours (before ram upgrade). My first dvd burn with idvd 08 (imported with imovie 08) is still rendering after 12 hours, and estimated remaining time shown is 25 hours left. It is set on pro quality. Any idea, because i need to burns 10 hours of video each week at work and i am in some trouble right now. I revert back to idvd04?

Message was edited by: corbymart

1,25ghz PB G4, 2Go.RAM, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 29, 2007 6:18 AM

5 replies

Nov 4, 2010 11:50 AM in response to corbymart

I revert back to idvd04?

No. Don't revert back to iDvd4. Stay where you are in terms of iDvd'08.

However, you may want to consider the free iMovie 6 download from apple (assuming you own iLife '08 already and that your user profile is correct in that you have a G4).

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imovieHD6.html

Also please read up on the minimum system requirements for iLife'08 in terms of iMovie7. If I'm not mistaken, I think it will only run well on a G5 or higher and is not really built for a G4 processor.

iMovie7 requires a Mac with an Intel processor, a Power Mac G5 (dual 2.0GHz or faster), or an iMac G5 (1.9GHz or faster; iDVD requires a 733MHz or faster processor.

User uploaded file

Nov 4, 2010 11:50 AM in response to SDMacuser

"Also please read up on the minimum system requirements for iLife'08 in terms of iMovie7. If I'm not mistaken, I think it will only run well on a G5 or higher and is not really built for a G4 processor."

So being underspec for imovie, ruined the file I loaded into idvd08? Hmm should not have taken the try when i read the requirements for imovie07. My bad. Btw, imovie07 did not showed symptoms because of my 1,25ghz, in fact i found it more responsive than its predecessor imovie04

Nov 4, 2010 11:51 AM in response to SDMacuser

well imovie08 runs smoothly, but i can't explain why. Anyway, i used imovie06 as you suggested and thing seems to be fine for now. At first idvd calculated 1,5 hours, but now it estimated to 3 hours, on performance setting. For me it is a gain of 2 hours (used to be 5h before upgrade), so i won't complain. Thank you very much for the tips!

What is the expected rendering time for video with iDVD 7 on a PowerBook G4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.