7 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2007 3:18 PM by Jeff Butler
Robert Lindsley Level 1 Level 1 (105 points)
Hello,

So, I had a 450GB drive that was nearly full (very important data, yada yada). I plugged the drive into my G5 iMac.

Time Machine came up and asked me if I wanted to use the drive. "Sure," I said.

Time Machine then came up and asked me if I wanted to format the drive (it was an MS-DOS partition, and it needed to reformat it). "No thanks," I said.

The drive then temporarily (around 1 second) unmounted, then remounted. Now, I have one directory on the hard drive called "Backups.backupdb" and one directory under that called "iMac"

I spent about 3 hours yesterday on with tech support, who told me that they would make an appointment at the 59th st Apple store who would try to recover the data. I went to the 59th st Apple store and they said "we don't do data recovery. Why would he tell you that?" Why, indeed.

Both the Apple support person and the 'genius' told me that I 'must have hit the format button.' First off, I know I didn't. But, I actually have proof because the drive format is MS-DOS (FAT32). If I did hit format, Time Machine would have converted it to OSX Journaled.

Anyway, I'm now in the position of having to recover my own data. Does anybody have any good tips on recovering data? I'm currently trying to use Data Rescue II.

Secondly, has anybody else had this problem? My Leopard install on my G5 iMac has been a *complete disaster*. Over the weekend I spent a total of 7 hours on the phone with tech support about various problems.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,
Robert--

iMac flat screen, Mac OS X (10.5)