Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

3G HSPDA Huawei Three can't connect

I have a USB Huawei modem through Three in Australia (3G / HSPDA).

I can't get the Mobile Connect app to install on 10.5 (had to wipe MacBook hard drive to install Leopard - upgrade / archive and install didn't work too well).

Not sure what settings I need to use here.

Any ideas?

MacBook Core2Duo 2.0GHz (White), Mac OS X (10.4.8), Also have a Mac Mini CoreDuo, and a Dual G5

Posted on Oct 29, 2007 6:43 PM

14 replies

Oct 30, 2007 3:55 AM in response to Hamish B.

I have the HUAWEI mobile E220.

Using the drivers that came with my T-mobile webnwalk pack it worked first time in leopard.

You can get the drivers from my dot mac space

http://homepage.mac.com/timhaigh/E220_Drivers.zip

Once installed you can use the HuaweiDataCardApp to set your APN.

I don't require anyother 3rd party software to make the conneciton.

I went to SystemPreferences-->Network-->Location -->Edit Locations

click the +

I added HSDPA as my location name.

Then I chose add configuration

I called it 'T-Mobile'

I used *99# as the telephone number

my provider does not require me to use a username and password so I left that blank.

I checked 'show modem status in menubar'

Then click Advanced.

click the modem tab

Vendor:Other
Model: Huawi Mobile Connect

I have enabled error correction checked

Dial mode 'ignore dial when dialing'
Then click the PPP tab

Settings:configuration

uncheck 'send PPP echopackets'
Then click ok
then Apply

Now to engage the connection I plug in the usb modem wait for the green or blue light to flash.

I goto the menubar modem icon and choose Connect HuawaiMobile

This works.

Now to monitor my modem signal, usage etc I use cheetahwatch

http://m.ac.nz/cheetahwatch/

Good luck

Dec 7, 2007 2:40 PM in response to Brett Jolly

Thanks to all for the ideas.

However I can set up the APN neither with HuaweiDataCard.app (I try to use the USB modem...) nor with the application sold with the modem (MobileConnect.app). The first one give an error message "APN is configured failed!" and the second one simply crashes before opening.

As the obvious consequence, though correctly (I think) parameterized the modem run and run till the error message.

I tried to download the latest version of the piece of sofware at
http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/file/download.do?f=14558&ctype=1
but the download stops always after 97.45%.

I am surprised as the package is advertised by Swisscom as working under Leopard.

Any clues? Many thanks.

pab-gva

Dec 9, 2007 4:01 PM in response to pab-gva

I managed to get hold of Three Australia on the phone to fix the problem. Turns out the instructions they offer are not valid for Leopard. I still can't open the MobileConnect application, but I can now connect through the phone icon in the menu. This is what I did:

- add the device in the network preferences (though this may also be automatic)
- set Configuration to Default (may be automatic)
- set phone number as *99# (I guess this number may vary across the world, but they'll tell you which number to use)
- open the Advanced tab
- select Vendor: Generic (not Other, as my instructions stated)
- select Modem: GPRS (GSM/3G) (not Huawei, as my instructions stated)
- select APN: 3netaccess (though that'll almost definitely be different for each provider)
- CID: 1
- Click Apply, then Connect, and away you go

Hope that helps. It's been a frustrating few hours. The box should say it doesn't work with 10.5 or give the latest instructions.

Dec 26, 2007 4:13 AM in response to sgleadow

Have had a look at what needs to be done to get the E 220 to work.. Guess what? The Driver CD that comes with the 3 Mobile Broadband kit seems to work just fine.. In fact the drivers do! What needs to happen is the correct configuration of the APN which should be 3netaccess (using the Huawei E 220 APN Configuration App provided in the above post) all standard fields should be filled out as per the instructions outlined in the .pdf file on the Driver CD. So go to Tim Haigh's post dated 30th October 2007 and download the file... open it and fire it up.. then all you need to do is enter 3netaccess into the configurator and your done and dusted. Thanks Crew and.. Happy Surfing! (Special Thanks to Tim!!).

Jan 11, 2008 12:50 PM in response to Tim Haigh

Hi Tim

Thanks very much for taking the time to post this. I am in Aus with the Huawei e220 (Vodafone) and about to leave for Tassie tomorrow. I need to work while I am away so will be relying very heavily on the e220. I had a little freak out last night when I couldn't get it to work with Leopard. Tried a range of different suggestions, but only yours worked.

So thanks again!

Cheers

Melinda

PS: Have also downloaded Cheetah Watch!

3G HSPDA Huawei Three can't connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.