Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac Will not Update

I have an imac G5 1.8 768ram. I was 10.3.9 tried to upgrade to 10.4 upgrade kept failing. so decided to erase harddrive and install new version of OS 10.4 everything went great. Then software update pops up i say download all it downloads 10.4.10 combo update then fails after downloading when it tries to install. Something about a digital Signature might have been modified by apple or something like that i should of wrote it down. any help would be appreciated.

G5, Mac OS X (10.4)

Posted on Oct 30, 2007 6:05 AM

11 replies

Nov 5, 2007 5:13 AM in response to Mitch Monyak

"I finally gave up went out and bought leporard that was a waiste of money spent all day only got to install once."

Never install a new OS unless your current OS system is in tip top shape.

In view of your new issue: +"something about having permissions to write to the /temp folder"+ suggest that you run a stronger 3rd party utility.
You must use the versions that are compatible w/your OS system & keep the utilities updated to avoid damaging/harming/trashing your system.

DiskWarrior
Highly recommended for *directory damage* repairs.

TechTool Pro
Multi-functional utility.

Drive Genius Multi-functional utility.

You will need to make your own decision on which to purchase. Read up on them on their websites because each does something a little different.

Good luck!
User uploaded file

Nov 5, 2007 5:32 AM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

I guess your correct on the new software. But i always did a erase and install.
I do have tech tool pro 4.0.3. I do see alot of people have the same problems as i do and they are all with the G5 imac 1.8Ghz. nobody ever states what they did to fix the problem. My apple care is out. Im thinking of doing a 1 incident applecare phone support but not sure if it would be worth it. If you aor anyone has any other suggestions it would be appreciated. Im trying to run 10.3.9.

Imac Will not Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.