Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaCie D2 Firewire 800 drives not mounting.

Hi guys,
After an OS upgrade to 10.5 I can't mount any Firewire drives to desktop. In fact, they're not even listed in System profiler, the message "*Warning:Unable to list FireWire devices*" comes up in Firewire bus section.
They worked fine under 10.4 etc, and still mount on older G4 towers all running Tiger/Panther
Any help appreciated.

System: MacBook, OS X 10.5, LaCie D2 FW800 external drives

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 30, 2007 9:14 AM

12 replies

Nov 2, 2007 11:34 PM in response to Stickie

I am having exactly the same problem with my Western Digital My Book when trying to connect via Firewire.

There are no problems when connecting via USB, and my drive connects via firewire and USB with my Macbook so it is not a problem with my external drive, and I can connect other firewire items to my iMac (so not a faulty firewire port).

Apple Support were also not able to resolve this problem either. Any suggestions?

Nov 5, 2007 11:28 AM in response to Stickie

Not likely a problem with your LaCie drives, but something related to the FireWire drivers inside your upgraded OS X 10.5 installation.

From your own words, system profiler is reporting that it is unable to list any FireWire devices.

You may want to try resetting your FireWIre bus as a first step:

shutdown your computer, and disconnect drives

remove AC power from your drives as well as your computer for a few minutes; with laptops, also remove the battery

reconnect AC to just your computer; reinstall battery if a laptop

restart computer; confirm that there is no problem in the FireWire section of your Apple System Profiler report

connect power to your FireWire drive, and reconnect to the computer. Confirm that drive is visible to both Apple System Profiler as well as Apple Disk Utility. Apply First Aid to confirm drive is OK.

If drive does not appear, or there is a problem reported with the FireWire bus, then suspect a fauly installation of OS X. Youc an boot from your Leopard OS X DVD, and use Apple Disk Utility and Apple System Profiler while booed from the DVD. This will be a clean version of the OS, and probably overcome any problems with the installed OS X.

If drive appears fine while booted from the DVD, then you will need to reinstall your OS X.

Mike

Apr 2, 2008 7:46 AM in response to raulm21

I'm having a quite similar problem with my LaCie D2, the thing is, unlike its two twin brothers, this one has decided not to mount anymore, either via FW400, FW800 or USB. When it's plugged on, it starts spinning then stops almost immediately, then back to spinning again, then off, on and on...sometimes it just gest to sleep and the blue light blinks rapidly.
Won't show in disk utility but shows in System profiler.
Nothing wrong with the FW ports, all the other FW peripherals work fine.

I plugged it to an old iMac G3, works fine.

The more i read here the more i understand there's a problem with leopard handling FW. Any solutions.

Thx
Vince

LaCie D2 Firewire 800 drives not mounting.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.