Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions Repair Error: ARDAgent.app

I get this warning when I try to repair permissions.

Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAg ent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

Any ideas as to why?

Message was edited by: MikeyPD

MacBook Pro (1st gen), Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Oct 31, 2007 12:19 AM

61 replies

Oct 31, 2007 12:56 AM in response to MikeyPD

I get the same thing... And I get some kind of error about some "control list" as well...

I had to re-instally Leopard 6 times, until I finally uninstalled all of my "3rd Party" software "AE, etc" and did an "Archive & Install"; which finally worked..

I think that the Leopard Keychain update was supposed to fix this issue, but I'm guessing that it won't be completely solved until further bugs are worked out...

bye,
david

Oct 31, 2007 11:50 PM in response to MikeyPD

Same error I got on three different machines - even after a clean install on one of them. I've been able to "fix" it by deleting the file, then installing the Keychain & Login Update (not through Software Update). I'm 99% sure this file is tied to the Screen Sharing service.

What's even more interesting is that if you run Software Update after the deletion/reinstall, you'll get prompted that the update needs to be run again, and if you do you end back in the same boat - incorrect permissions. I'm wondering if this is: a) a file that's properly tied to root and Disk Utility is misinterpreting the permissions, or; b) this is one of the Leopard bugs that'll get patched in the .1 Update.

-Douggo

Nov 2, 2007 1:56 PM in response to MikeyPD

This is a known issue. There are some problem with Disk Utility under 10.5. First, it has not been updated to handle the new indexing methodology used by Spotlight, which is why it takes forever. Second, I believe the problem with ARDagent.app is a result of the latest update for the Apple Remote Desktop client.

If it really bothers you, you could probably attempt to correct it yourself. I believe the problem is that the update altered the permissions for Apple Remote Desktop client, and I suspect that this client is what's used in the new iChat for screen sharing, among other features (which is why it exists at all in a default installation). Deleting it entirely would not be advisable.

That is, SUID is the command for Set User ID. You could getuid to see what the user ID is for the ARDagent. You could change it yourself with setuid. I wouldn't bother.

ACL stands for Access Control List (I believe), which if I understand it right is a permissions setting for a folder, file, or directory.

If I'm understanding the error right, the user ID for the ARDagent has been changed, most probably the update. Disk Utility does not know and/or understand how to correct them (or if they even need to be corrected, which I suspect they might not need be). Perhaps to allow superuser/root access via ARD, I don't know. The two most common extensions to the error are ACL expectations on "Applications" and "Library". My guess is access to these folders is being modified to be either allowed or denied by the ARDagent.

There are some clues in the release notes for the update that lead me to believe this:

1. Support for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard's Remote Management settings in Create Client Installer and Change Client Settings task
2. Support for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard's Remote Management settings in kickstart
3. Open Application task now launches applications on Intel based clients

The last one may pertain to ACL changes on the "Applications" folder.

It's likely that this isn't actually a "problem" at all, but rather the way things are supposed to be. I'm assuming that Disk Utility actually has an exceptions list for things like this, as Apple employs many non-standard/UNIX features. I suspect the "fix" for this will simply be adding these messages to the exceptions list for Disk Utility.

Nov 3, 2007 2:23 PM in response to Ralph The Magician

Ralph,

thanks for confirming what I suspected. I'm fairly sure this is a bug in Disk Utility that will be fixed in an updated exceptions file. As of my last post, the permissions on the ARDAgent file have remained correct and not caused Disk Utility to flag it with an unchangeable SUID error, nor has Software Update insisted on running the Login & Keychain Access updater.

-Douggo

Nov 6, 2007 3:22 PM in response to KJK555

KJK555 wrote:
There is a work around ...

open finder - go to: /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app

highlight ARDagent.app with mouse - click & drag to trash... empty trash can!

I was having ACL and permission problems until I did just that! Everything is Roses now...

Does removing this app prevent Remote Desktop from being used?

William

Nov 6, 2007 4:08 PM in response to William Rivas

Yep, shure does....

But I don't believe it's wise to use an app that is broken either.

When Apple gets the app fixed in the near future, simply reinstall the new update. 🙂

another option might be to use an earlier version like 2.x, but whether or not the earlier version will run properly on leopard is anyone's guess.

Permissions Repair Error: ARDAgent.app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.