Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading Boot Camp in Windows XP does not work if MacDrive Installed

I just figured something out that might be really helpful for people.

i upgraded to Leopard, and then restarted in windows XP SP2 to upgrade the boot camp drivers as per apple's instructions. i inserted the 10.5 system disk and nothing happened, so i searched the dvd for some sort of exe file to upgrade the drivers. found nothing. i looked on discussions and found that the file is called setup.exe, so i searched the dvd in both OS X and XP for said file. still nothing. finally, i found a tiny reference in an apple document about mediafour's macdrive being installed on the xp side could be trouble. so i unistalled macdrive, and lo and behold, when inserting the OS X 10.5 Install DVD, it started into the installer automatically and all is good now in Boot Camp Land.

this all may sound really simple and dumb, but while MacDrive was installed, there was no sign WHATSOEVER of any Setup.exe file on the Install DVD. none at all. which made apple's nice and simple instructions of 'insert dvd and it will upgrade automatically' pretty darn frustrating.
anyway, make sure you uninstall MacDrive BEFORE trying to upgrade Boot Camp.
that's all.
later.
c.

macpro, Mac OS X (10.5), windows xp pro sp/2 as the OTHER operating system, but only when working in Rhino

Posted on Oct 31, 2007 7:50 AM

2 replies

Upgrading Boot Camp in Windows XP does not work if MacDrive Installed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.