Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dust jacket spines

Hi all,

I've just (today) upgraded to iPhoto 08 and am very pleased to discover that you now get a nice dust jacket with new hardcover books. I've made several hardcover books in previous versions of iPhoto (and Aperture), and they're lovely, but the bit of paper stuck on the front was always the biggest disappointment for me as it's poorly protected. (Touch it and it quickly rumples because of moisture in your fingers, and it looks as though it could detach too easily as well.)

So, I'm very tempted by the new with-jacket format. But there are a couple of things that aren't at all clear from what you can see in iPhoto or via a print preview, so I'd really appreciate it if someone who's printed a hardback book from iPhoto 08 could answer a couple of questions:

1. What's the front cover like if you remove the dust jacket?

(a) Does it still have a stick-on printed label as before, or is it blank?
(b) If it does still have a printed label, what form does the label take? Is it now just a scaled-down copy of the dust jacket? (That would make its format different from previous books, but I don't see how it can be anything else, since iPhoto 08 makes no distinction between cover and dust jacket.)

2. What happens on the spine of the dust jacket? There's no reference to this in iPhoto.

(a) Is the spine blank, or does it have a copy of the text from the front cover?
(b) If it does copy the text from the front cover, does it copy just the first line of a multi-line entry, or the entire text?
(c) What about the font? Does it use the same font (and colour) as you've set on the front cover, or is some preset choice of Apple's used?

I'd like to know what I'm getting so that I can plan my front cover title appropriately!

PowerMac G5, Mac OS X (10.5), Dual 2.5GHz, Radeon X800

Posted on Oct 31, 2007 10:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2007 2:29 PM

Richard:

1 - the hard cover has a silver embossed title. It's very nice. Be warned that many have been unhappy with the printing on the dusk jacket. It's been dark and bad color for many. Mine came in too dark but the book was OK. Apple has been very good about making things right in those occurrences.

2 - the spine has the book title printed on it and was oriented vertically as I recall. I gave the book away as a give so can't confirm. It's just the Title field and not the additional text that's in the lower field on the cover.

User uploaded file Do you Twango?

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 08 libraries. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2007 2:29 PM in response to Richard Hallas

Richard:

1 - the hard cover has a silver embossed title. It's very nice. Be warned that many have been unhappy with the printing on the dusk jacket. It's been dark and bad color for many. Mine came in too dark but the book was OK. Apple has been very good about making things right in those occurrences.

2 - the spine has the book title printed on it and was oriented vertically as I recall. I gave the book away as a give so can't confirm. It's just the Title field and not the additional text that's in the lower field on the cover.

User uploaded file Do you Twango?

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 08 libraries. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

Jan 25, 2008 11:36 AM in response to Old Toad

I have a similar question/issue

I notice when iPhoto 08 creates a preview .pdf to see what will print, it shows the hard cover on the second page

The font on the hardcover is different than the jacket, but only for the title, not for the sub title copy and I cannot get it to change, even when changing the settings to the correct font.

any tricks you know of to ensure they print the same?

thanks

Jan 25, 2008 12:15 PM in response to Richard Hallas

Richard - I'm holding the book I received yesterday

1. What's the front cover like if you remove the dust jacket?

It solid black (there are several choices that you can make for the color) with the Title and sub title stamped in silver foil - very professional looking IMHO

(a) Does it still have a stick-on printed label as before, or is it blank?

No - see above

2. What happens on the spine of the dust jacket? There's no reference to this in iPhoto.

It has the main title only printed so when the book is laying flat it reads left to right - it the book is upright on a shelf it will be sideways

The font and size are selectable options - I left them to the Apple default

LN

Jan 25, 2008 7:30 PM in response to Richard Hallas

Hey, I can help a little. Just received two hardcover books created with IPhoto '08. Very pleased. These are my first so no experience with earlier versions.

Dust cover is loose, nice quality paper with your photos on front and wrap around flap. Same on the back. The hardcover of the book has no photos on outside or inside cover. Outside cover is stamped with title of book in silver on black (my selected color). Looking closer at cover per your comments, I guess that is a paper covering over hard material. Then, on inside a blank leaflet type page, then you photos begin. Pretty nice.

No stick on labels. I'd say the title is stamped on the outside of the hard cover (under the jacket).

The spine of the dust jacket has the book title printed there. The Title, not the subtitle. First line only per your question. Font is same as Title, smaller size to fit the spine. Same color as title, black in my case. Not sure about options there.

Hope that's of help. I felt real good about my books, 7 of 'em for gifts, for a first time effort.

mike

Dust jacket spines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.