Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Missing Discussion Category - Where to discuss fraudulent Apple sellers?

I have found a seller on ebay who is selling new Apple computers and shipping refurbished models instead. After catching him and returning the 17" MacBook Pro, he re-listed it, and sold it to the next victim. I contacted her, and she is working with the local police in an attempt to get this seller to stop. Meanwhile, the seller has posted yet another machine which I suspect is also a refurbished model being sold as new.

I have contacted Apple about this, and am getting no response. I have offered to provide them with further details, but my e-mails (to a long time employee) appear to be falling on deaf ears. I am very interested in knowing what Apple's policy is in policing this issue and what, if anything, they do to perpetrators. This perpetrator is unbelievably arrogant, even after having been caught, which causes me to think he has found a loophole in the system that Apple isn't addressing.

I am hoping someone can shed some light on this. This type of behavior only serves to damage the reputation and quality of the wonderful products that Apple makes. It would be comforting to know that they are doing something about it.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5), An Apple user since the Classic

Posted on Nov 2, 2007 12:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2007 1:18 PM

Hi Teri!

I could be mistaken, but I'm not sure, that Apple can control what vendors post on eBay, unless maybe, said vendor is promoting as an Apple Authorized Reseller.

There are always unscrupulous sellers on that venue, and it's a Buyer Beware proposition.

But, you can contact Apple Legal.

Or maybe one of the other Legal Contacts Listed HERE.

You should also utilize Contact eBay Site Admins, and file a report.

ali b
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 2, 2007 1:18 PM in response to Teri R.

Hi Teri!

I could be mistaken, but I'm not sure, that Apple can control what vendors post on eBay, unless maybe, said vendor is promoting as an Apple Authorized Reseller.

There are always unscrupulous sellers on that venue, and it's a Buyer Beware proposition.

But, you can contact Apple Legal.

Or maybe one of the other Legal Contacts Listed HERE.

You should also utilize Contact eBay Site Admins, and file a report.

ali b

Nov 2, 2007 1:12 PM in response to Teri R.

Apple Discussions is primarily a technical support forum provided by users. Dodgy retail practices are not in this orbit. In fact if someone is acting illegally there is nothing to discuss. You have contacted Apple and the police, that is the best you can do. It is a matter you could also raise with your local consumer affairs office.

Personally, I would not use eBay to buy a computer new or used. Methinks you were a little naive there.

Nov 2, 2007 1:17 PM in response to roam

Personally, I would not use eBay to buy a computer new or used. Methinks you were a little naive there.

With all due respect, this is the third computer I have purchased on ebay, not to mention a host of other technology products. Had no problems before. That being said, ebay does appear to have a growing problem with fraud - guess it was only a matter of time.

Nov 2, 2007 6:03 PM in response to Teri R.

You should be talking to the police. Apple cannot legally stop anyone from selling their product. They could only do something if he says he is an authorized seller. You are lucky if this is the only problem you have had. The higher end products are the ones usually sold fraudulently on eBay. It is not a growing problem it has been around for years. The Police last year busted a few people that were stealing new electronics gear and selling it on eBay. That isn't the manufacturers fault or responsibility to do anything about it.

User uploaded file

Missing Discussion Category - Where to discuss fraudulent Apple sellers?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.