Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virtual PC on PM G5 Quad?

Hi there,

I have a "Quad" on order and would like to know if VPC 7 will run on it. Any experiences with VPC 7 on DualCore G5s?

Jason

Posted on Nov 11, 2005 4:21 AM

15 replies

Nov 11, 2005 6:00 AM in response to rob_ART

Thank you for your reply.

The "should" in your answer is the crucial point; I would like to know if the current version of VPC runs well on PCIe DC G5s. There's a little bit too much hardware change involved for a healthy "should" from my point of view. The use of VPC - pretty much regardless of the speed of the emulation - is important to me in everyday business.

Jason

Nov 11, 2005 9:18 PM in response to Jason Harder

Jason -

You don't say whether you already have VPC 7 or not, so I'm guessing you do not. I would recommend getting VPC 7 XP Pro, and then disabling a number of its features so that the system runs more quickly. There have been discussions on how to do this. If you will do a VPC 7 search in the Discussions, you should be able to find several reports from G5 users.

Running VPC 7 (XP Pro) on my 1.5GHz 15" PB is quite tolerable, and I've read in these discussions of others who have even better experience with VPC 7 on their G5s. When I say tolerable, I mean that it does run slower than on a Win machine, but the tasks I use it for are fast enough to be usable. My use is limited to running some Windows database programs that are not available for the Mac. I even run my Palm programs from within VPC 7, as I prefer the Windows version over the Palm Mac version.

Nov 14, 2005 7:45 AM in response to Grant Jacobsen

Sorry, but you think way too far. I've been using VPC from version 2 to 6 - so I basically know how fast or slow it is. What I've been asking for is, whether the actual application will start up on a DualCore or not. I'm sorry if that didn't come out clear enough. Since the DC G5s have a completely redesigned mobo I would like to know in advance if VPC fires up on a DC or not before I make the purchase of VPC 7.

Jason

Nov 14, 2005 2:22 PM in response to Jason Harder

Jason -

Sorry for my mistake. I have also purchased other versions of VPC, always abandoning them because none have run fast enough to be really very useful to me. VPC 7 is the first one I have continued using.

It is my understanding none of the VPCs have been optimized for dual processors, individual or dual core. I base this on comments others have made in Discussions, and on the VPC website info. That it hasn't been, IMO, is a pitty. I would suspect MS, now the owner of VPC, does not want it to run much faster than it already does.

Nov 14, 2005 3:59 PM in response to Grant Jacobsen

I am currently using VPC 7.0.2 on my dual core 2.3. So far I have had to do three installs of windows XP. Each time, after an apparently succesful install, rebooting would result in various errors. One was a missing hal.dll error, the last was an IO error. As usual, the windows recovery console was of no use. I have tried formatting with FAT32 and NTFS. My last attempt was with FAT32 and so far the install seems normal. I have not noticed much of a speed increase between running VPC on my dual core PowerMac over my PowerBook 1.67

Nov 15, 2005 12:46 AM in response to Jason Harder

Hi there,

I have a "Quad" on order and would like to know if
VPC 7 will run on it. Any experiences with VPC 7 on
DualCore G5s?

Jason

Hi Jason,
Well I haven't received my Quad yet so I can't exactly tell you if it'll run faster or slower. I did test out Virtual PC on a Dual Core 2.3 and I did see some performance boost compared to my Dual 2.7. I did tweak the system setting a a bit. Try them out and hopefully you can find it to be a bit faster for you. Ok.. so only allocate 128MB of ram to Virtual PC... I know it's weird and doesn't really make any sense but this is why... When Windows boots up it determines the amount of physical RAM it has. When there is more than 256MB of physical RAM it changes it's paging scheme as well as some of the caching optimizations to take advantage of the larger physical ram.
These optimizations don't play well with Virtual PC, because the physical RAM it thinks there is actual virtual. Because the fundamental performance bottleneck is paging memory between your Macintosh and the Windows Guest, the more memory Windows thinks it has the more it asks for. If you say you have 512MB of physical ram Windows XP will ask for a block of about 192MB of ram to use. Virtual PC then allocates that 192MB of ram and pages it in. This immediately gobbles up loads of memory and causes stress on your Mac and Virtual PC. If you set the ram to 128MB you don't see this happen.

Another tweak I made was I set the vram to max and I also changed my Windows XP theme to classic. It runs a lot smoother. Even though I run nothing really intensive it makes the overall system more stable and at least I feel I have less lag.

Let me know us know what happens!

-netinvader

Nov 15, 2005 11:08 PM in response to Jason Harder

I have run VPC 7.0.x (latest upgrade) on my DC 2.0/2.5GB RAM.
It runs noticably faster than on my previous system (Sawtooth 400 w/ OWC 1.4GHz upgrade/768MB RAM).
AutoCAD 2002 under Win2k, which was a drag on the old machine, is now quite tolerable and very adequate to work with. You still can't allocate more than 512 MB of memory to VPC, so I am staying away from XP until this is fixed.

Dec 5, 2005 8:18 AM in response to Jason Harder

The Quad has arrived, VPC 7.02 is up an running on X.4.3. Speed is okay/usable but not overwhelming (as expected). Actually, I think VPC uses more than one core at once. Or X handles VPC more intelligently than before. I have to get into this deeper to verify it: when I use WinXP Pro and fire up some program within XP, processor usage rises on 2 or 3 cores; not only one. Maybe it's just a coincidence, wishful thinking...

Virtual PC on PM G5 Quad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.