Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! VPN connect annoyingly asks for password every time.

Hello

In Tiger I would click on the VPN symbol up top and then click connect, and my pre-configured VPN would hook up no problem. I got it to work with Leopard, but it asks me for my VPN password every time. It's a very annoying password with lots of different cases and such so typing it in is very annoying. How can I get the VPN setup to remember the password each time?

PowerMac G5 Dual 2.5 Ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Nov 4, 2007 6:47 PM

15 replies

Nov 4, 2007 7:07 PM in response to William Lloyd

I just used the built in VPN setup in OS X. It is set up with Auto detect security and a name and password. It was set up with Tiger and it remained "set up" when I upgraded to leopard. It asked for my password once (which I wasn't surprised about) but then it keeps asking every time I connect. I went to the setup page and typed my password there but it doesn't seem to remember it.

Nov 4, 2007 7:10 PM in response to Joshua Wein1

Hmmm. Maybe your password isn't getting saved.

Did you apply the keychain and login update via software update? Also try running Keychain Access and doing a repair on your login keychain.

How long have you been using OS X? Any chance you originally started with 10.0 or 10.1? There's a case where you can have 2 keychains in that scenario, which can cause some issues it seems.

Nov 7, 2007 2:55 AM in response to Joshua Wein1

Hi,

I have exactly the same issue here. Before Leopard VPN worked as it should. Now I am asked for the VPN passoword everytime I want to start a VPN. I checked: the (correct) password is in the keychain. It seems that Leopard is set to ask for the password instead of accessing the keychain for it (or it has problems accessing it although I do not have a hint that this is the case).

I hope somebody finds a way ho to fix this - it is really annoying.

Thanks,
lc

Nov 7, 2007 7:15 AM in response to Joshua Wein1

Same thing for me for both L2TP and PPTP VPN connections. I have tried deleting the VPN connection in the network system preference, deleting the old internet connect keychain entry and starting again from scratch but it still fails.

The odd thing is that the window that prompts for a Name and Password has an 'Internet Connect' application icon. There is no Internet Connect application that I can find in Leopard.

It seems that upgrading Tiger -> Leopard has left some remnants of Internet Connect behind that are blighting the new VPN configurations.

Looks like a bug to me.

Nov 13, 2007 5:23 PM in response to DaveFox

I hope some of this helps, but I managed to make my annoyingly-inquisitive VPN connections work silently.

First, understand that I don't know for sure that this will work for you. Your mileage may vary.

Second, know that I don't know for sure which of these steps is responsible for the desired change.

(At this point, you're saying, "Enough already with the disclaimers! Get on with it!" OK, here it goes.)

What I did:

1 - I deleted ~/Library/com.apple.internetconnect.plist
2 - I deleted the keychain items labeled "PPP Password."
3 - I deleted the configurations in Network Preferences...
4 - I recreated the connections and entered the passwords in "Authentication Settings..." for each VPN connection.

And it worked.

Good luck!
Bill

Nov 13, 2007 6:32 PM in response to Cosmik Debris

I think the primary problem is that there is no option to "Save" here. It's "OK" and "Cancel" in the dialog that you mention, and despite repeated attempts at putting the password in and "OK"-ing it, and even watching the item being created in the Keychain, Internet Connect (or whatever it is now) still insists on asking for the password.

That is, until I followed the steps I outlined above. And then it worked properly, remembering the password and not requesting the password when the VPN is told to connect.

Boy, don't I wish the simple solution was always the right one!

Thanks, though,
Bill

HELP! VPN connect annoyingly asks for password every time.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.