Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much is an LC worth?

I'm currently bidding on a used Mac LC with original box, manuals, disks and hard drive.

Anyone know how much it might be worth?

Posted on Sep 27, 2005 10:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2005 11:09 AM

I've got an LC I and an LC III, and would be surprised if either would sell for more than $5. If there's some reason that you want an LC with all of the original accessories, I suppose its value is subjective. If you're looking at it as a collectible, I don't think it will ever become extremely valuable. In terms of performance, its 68020 processor and maximum 10 MBs of RAM make it a very limited 68K Mac. For light word processing chores, it's quite useful.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2005 11:09 AM in response to Stephen Coates1

I've got an LC I and an LC III, and would be surprised if either would sell for more than $5. If there's some reason that you want an LC with all of the original accessories, I suppose its value is subjective. If you're looking at it as a collectible, I don't think it will ever become extremely valuable. In terms of performance, its 68020 processor and maximum 10 MBs of RAM make it a very limited 68K Mac. For light word processing chores, it's quite useful.

Sep 27, 2005 11:25 AM in response to Stephen Coates1

A Mac LC is not really worth anything as a computer, and it has no value as a "collectable". For the purposes of buying one on an auction site like EBay, a token amount of $5-10 is the most you should pay. A quick review of past EBay auctions shows that most auctions for an LC never find a buyer (no big surprise) - so you never have to wait long for one to come along at a good price.

Sep 27, 2005 11:26 AM in response to Stephen Coates1

Stephen
It depends on your reasons for having an interest in the computer. Its specification is that of a limited machine. It is one of the few to have a 68020 processor, and was introduced in 1990 as the lowest-cost colour-capable Mac. It has limited expansion capability (one PDS slot), and no virtual memory capability to supplement its meagre 10MB (max.) of built-in memory, although it can use a floating-point coprocessor for greater number-crunching (actually number-nibbling) capability. Its siblings, eg the LC II, have more useful 68030 processors. The LC II can be upgraded (by logic board replacement) to a Quadra 605.

The unadorned answer to your question is 'not much as a computer, unless its appeal lies in other considerations such as condition, and only you can put a monetary value on that'. Nothing is ever 'worth' more than someone will pay for it. It was a cheap and popular machine in its time, but ...

Sep 27, 2005 11:38 AM in response to Denis Eddy

Thanks for your replies. I looked at it's specification and I didn't think it would be worth much.

Here in the UK, there usually aren't many LCs that appear on ebay. I would like a LC475, but I have only ever seen a few of those.

I thought it would be an interesting machine to have though. I've never owned a mac and have always wanted one. I've only ever got to use other people's and the ones at school (and at my current school we use PCs).

The good thing about all the LCs is that they're small, so even if I do get a 475, they won't take up too much space.

Sep 28, 2005 12:46 AM in response to Stephen Coates1

Do you have a small color monitor (12" or 13") with a fixed resolution to use with the LC? Even with the VRAM maxed out at 512K, it lacks the capability to support multi-scan displays. Considering the latest OS version that the LC can run (OS 7.5.5), you'll be using a back-dated Mac. In spite of its larger physical size, have you considered looking for a beige G3, so that you'll be able to use a more-recent Mac OS software and newer, third-party programs? If you really want a compact Mac with the LC form factor, hold off for an LC III/Performa 450 or a Performa 475. These models support up to 36 MBs of RAM (includes 4 MBs soldered to the motherboard), which is far better than the LC's 10 MBs of memory.

Sep 28, 2005 1:59 AM in response to Stephen Coates1

In addition to the G5, I also have an LCII (16Mhz, 68030 cpu) with the Apple 12" color screen. Still works very well. Anyone who has one or wants one should be aware that you won't be able to run any modern software (or even semi-modern) on it. As for running "classic" games, the 12" screen, while its 256 colours are pin sharp, most games of that age on the Mac required a 13" color screen, so many won't run. My old one has System 7.5 installed.

David

How much is an LC worth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.