Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

"Cut" function not working

510 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 8, 2007 12:01 PM by Rachel R RSS
poddster Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 7, 2007 9:49 PM
I have a clean install of Leopard on my new iMac, and have found that the "Cut" function in Finder stays inactive. I can Copy and Paste, but not Cut. Is this a known issue, and is there another thread I should look at? Searching the forum for cut and paste hits just about every topic! Thanks
24" Aluminium iMac, 2GB RAM, Mac OS X (10.5)
  • Core Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    Nov 8, 2007 12:53 AM (in response to poddster)
    Apple is never going to enable the Cut function in Finder.

It has something to do with user interface inconsistencies and the great fear that files will get sucked into a great big black hole if Apple ever decides to implement a Cut and Paste feature for simple file management.

The argument goes that whenever a user "cuts" something, that something will disappear like the text in your word processor. Hence, when a user "cuts" a file, that file, too, will disappear and all anarchy will break loose on earth.

And so They have grayed out the Cut menu item for Finder to protect us from ourselves.

But I digress. I just love the cute little green button. I never know what it's going to do when I click on it.
    Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5)
  • Rachel R Level 6 Level 6 (18,700 points)
    Nov 8, 2007 12:01 PM (in response to poddster)
    (in combination with the Delete keys being disabled as well)

I'm not sure what you mean by this...? You can delete files with the Command-Delete keyboard shortcut.
    15" MacBook Pro Core Duo, 2GB RAM; Windows XP Pro on Parallels, Mac OS X (10.5), 400MHz G4 (Sawtooth); Airport network; 60GB iPod photo

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.