Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

G3 video display issue

Recently I switched the main machine from an 8500/120 to a G3/266. In doing so I transferred the hard drive and PCI cards over to the newer Mac. Those cards were: a SIIG USB 1.1, an ATI XCLAIM 3D video and an Apple 10/100 Ethernet card. My monitor, a Portrait Display Pivot, had been previously attached to the ATI card while residing in the 8500 rather than the Mac's own video port. However, when I attempted to duplicate that arrangement with the G3 the screen displayed a partial flickering white image that contained nothing recognisable. Reconnecting the monitor to the video port returned a normal display, but this has me concerned.

These cards worked fine before, so there isn't an obvious reason for their misbehaviour now. I can only guess two possibilities:
1. The G3 may require PCI cards to exist in a certain order, although I haven't any evidence to back up that guess.
2. There may be a problem with the fact that both video sources, on the logic board and on the card, are ATI. I'm leaning in that direction, but don't know how to remedy the situation, as I'm hoping to connect a second monitor to the card.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Posted on Sep 15, 2005 12:40 PM

1 reply

G3 video display issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.